?? What breed or mix ?? Any ideas ?? Pics

The way to no if its a rhode island red is if you look under there fetahers they will still be borwn unlike red sex links which have white feathers under the ginger ones

Quote:
She resembled the original poster's hen sort of. What do you think on comparing the two? Do they look very much alike to you?

The problem was when I bought Grace she was in a tank with two or three other reddish breeds. The high school kid who sold her to me had no idea which was which. I do recall there was a little patch of extra reddish on her back; the rest of her reddish yellow like many chicks are.

Last edited:
i still say pic one is a RIR. looks like my RIRs. Production reds are poor quality colored. hatcherys sell production reds as rhode island reds. but u can see the differnces. the 2nd looks like a red sex link or what hatcherys call Golden comets, red stars, and cinnimon queen.

Quote:
Hi Johnn,

Thanks for that. I'll look under the top layer of feathers tomorrow. Though p'raps a New Hampshire but see some of these have black or very dark tipped tail feathers. Grace has no dark feathers at all.

Quote:
Hi Ariel;

You sound pretty certain. I'm inclined to take your word for that. I'm very new to hen id.

So can you offer a guess as to her parentage based on the one photo? Thanks very much.
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks for the confirmation. Now could you hazard a guess as to her parentage? Say, what breed of rooster and hen produced her?

Last edited:
A true rhode Island Red is a deep mohogany color even if you push the breast feathers from the feet to the head, a production red is a much lighter color underneath the outside feathers. I have watched many videos regarding this question. Another bird that may look like this as well is a hybrid, hybrids are easily i.d.'d by the way they run from danger. Hybrids are easily captured in daylight hrs even by smaller children.

The OP's birds are most likely Production Reds and definitely Red Sexlinks.

Quote:
Thanks for the confirmation. Now could you hazard a guess as to her parentage? Say, what breed of rooster and hen produced her?

Red Sexlinks can be a lot of crosses. Check out this thread on sex linked info to get an idea of the possibilities.

Quote:
There's no way to know what "breeds" were used to make her if she's a commercially bred sexlink since most hatcheries have specially bred parent strains that they use, they are not always just a simple cross of this breed and that breed.

Back
Top Bottom