What breed(s) are my pigs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hysop

RIP Ryder (2022) & Hammy (2019)
Sep 16, 2019
SW Georgia
I adopted them from the pound. Kind of an impulse decision. The small one, Hammy, is so nice. But the larger one, Bacon, is not so friendly. They are not food, I want them as pets. Just curious what breed they are. I thought they were pot belly pigs, but someone said they weren’t. The pound had zero information. They are still intact because their testicles haven’t dropped. So my guess is they are still young. Thank you for any help! Below is a picture I took of them from the pound.

Attachments

• 6BBCA5C8-2451-484E-9C7C-48D0C2F03852.jpeg
    6BBCA5C8-2451-484E-9C7C-48D0C2F03852.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 46
Thank you for letting me know!! My hubby’s friend said they might be feeder pigs because he said they didn’t have the right color to be pot belly pigs. But all pictures I’ve seen of pot belly pigs look like that while the pictures of feeder pigs don’t really look like these pigs. Thanks again for the confirmation!

I adopted them from the pound. Kind of an impulse decision. The small one, Hammy, is so nice. But the larger one, Bacon, is not so friendly. They are not food, I want them as pets. Just curious what breed they are. I thought they were pot belly pigs, but someone said they weren’t. The pound had zero information. They are still intact because their testicles haven’t dropped. So my guess is they are still young. Thank you for any help! Below is a picture I took of them from the pound.
Hard to tell by pic. Not sure how big they are. If both males probably will want to get them cut (testicles cut). It usually calms them down. Marshmallows are great for treats as are animal crackers make them listen and do things like a dog. Train them. They are super smart. In my opinion the bellies look like pot bellied but the bigger one is longer than a usual pot so to me it looks like a feeder pig. Hope that helps.

Thanks. Yes, I will definitely castrate them as soon as I’m able (well my husband will). Okay that sounds about the information I got from my hubby’s friend. That the big one looked like a feeder pig and the little one may be a pot belly. Are feeder pigs good pets too? Or will they have to be butchered eventually? I don’t eat pork, so I want them as pets.

Yikes. We have enough property for two pigs, but not sure how I feel about an 800 lb pig. Hopefully the little one doesn’t get past 200 lbs. My husband did say if the big one doesn’t mellow down once he gets neutered he will have to go.

They are definitely potbellies. Regular farm pigs don't look like that. They are a lot more streamlined. Even though they are potbellies, they can still get to be pretty good sized. A friend of mine had one and it had to weigh a good three hundred pounds. It wasn't fat, either. It was in good condition. It had free run of the place and slept with the dogs. If the other pig doesn't calm down you can always eat it. However, the way to a pig's heart is through its stomach. Over time judicious use of treats can do wonders.

Thanks! I’ll keep trying to feed it treats. The little one will eat out of my hand. The big one ate out of a cup in my hand yesterday so I have my hopes he’ll mellow out once he’s castrated. 300 lbs wow. Well as long as they’re nice I don’t mind heavy pigs.

I adopted them from the pound.
That's great! :highfive:

They look to be under 9 months according to fur... and WAIT for it....

MAYBE even mini pigs! :celebrate Meaning not pot bellies but better. ;)

Standard farm/feeder pigs have curly tails and mini pigs should not.

Lots of folks are crossing Juliana or Kune Kune type pigs these days in my area.

The behavior issue will hopefully get better... my young male is castrated but still bites at certain folks even though they have given treats. I think it's miscommunication and he may be trying to get more treats but see him actively try to bite (almost out of frustration like I've seen in some toddlers do when throwing a fit). Hopefully this link will help you out in soooo many aspects with these piggies! My vet has been an extraordinary support as well...
https://www.minipiginfo.com/

I strongly advise... if that's dog feed, that you go grab some pig food as the vitamin and mineral requirements are not the same. Also, since you aren't raising them as feeder... please measure the feed you give as they will eat until obese. This is more affordable than the minipig feeds if cost is an issue for you. I haven't had any issues since switching....
Product_Swine_Purina_Sow_And_Pig.png

My boy was shy as he was 4 months old when he came from his swine family. At 9 months he loves tummy rubs, but still runs away if startled. My female, gotten at 5 weeks and raised indoors as a pet is off the hook friendly with non stranger people but such a beeyatch to my dogs and other farm animals... I call it keeping her "pimp snout" strong.

No, I don't think those are feeders at all! :love

ETA: are you sure their not already fixed? I might expect to see something by now. :pop

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom