What breed(s) do I have here?

Salt Creek Coops

Songster
Jun 1, 2020
Bought at local hardware store. Sold to me as golden laced Wyandottes. They just look different to me!
Bird 1 has yellow/orange legs
Bird 2 has grey legs

I know they aren’t show quality or anything. Just wondering if they are the same breed.

Attachments

• F647EE23-12EE-4750-B83F-166C95C4D92A.jpeg
    F647EE23-12EE-4750-B83F-166C95C4D92A.jpeg
    651.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 3CE4E462-8570-43F5-882D-7250C303FE42.jpeg
    3CE4E462-8570-43F5-882D-7250C303FE42.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 4
You are correct, they are definitely not Golden Laced, and not Wyandottes of any other color.

#2 is probably an Easter Egger.

#1 I'm not as sure about. Coming from the same source as the Easter Egger, this one might be an Easter Egger as well. But there's also a chance of Speckled Sussex, Welsummer, Brown Leghorn, Cream Legbar, or various other breeds. (Some of those are more likely than others, but you will probably not be able to tell for sure until it grows up a bit more.)

Traits that I'm seeing:
#1 has stripey down, a single comb, light legs that might be white or yellow, brown feathers with baby-chick patterning that will change when the chick grows older. That list of traits can fit a long list of possible breeds.

#2 has stripey down, I think a pea comb, dark legs, and similar brown feathers that will probably change color as it grows. It's probably female, based on the color of feathers coming in on the breast (this only works on some colors of chickens, but I think you have one where it does.) Edit because I forgot to mention: it's got muffs too.

Last edited:
You are correct, they are definitely not Golden Laced, and not Wyandottes of any other color.

#2 is probably an Easter Egger.

#1 I'm not as sure about. Coming from the same source as the Easter Egger, this one might be an Easter Egger as well. But there's also a chance of Speckled Sussex, Welsummer, Brown Leghorn, Cream Legbar, or various other breeds. (Some of those are more likely than others, but you will probably not be able to tell for sure until it grows up a bit more.)

Traits that I'm seeing:
#1 has stripey down, a single comb, light legs that might be white or yellow, brown feathers with baby-chick patterning that will change when the chick grows older. That list of traits can fit a long list of possible breeds.

#2 has stripey down, I think a pea comb, dark legs, and similar brown feathers that will probably change color as it grows. It's probably female, based on the color of feathers coming in on the breast (this only works on some colors of chickens, but I think you have one where it does.)
You are so knowledgeable! Thank you! I wondered if #1 is a speckled Sussex! I lost mine last year. I would be so happy! I also thought #2 looks like my Easter Egger. I’m happy about that also! Haha! I’m just happy to have chickens. They just looked too different to me and also looked like my other chicks. NOT wyandottes.
Thank you for sharing how you came up with your answers!

You are so knowledgeable! Thank you! I wondered if #1 is a speckled Sussex! I lost mine last year. I would be so happy! I also thought #2 looks like my Easter Egger. I’m happy about that also! Haha! I’m just happy to have chickens. They just looked too different to me and also looked like my other chicks. NOT wyandottes.
Thank you for sharing how you came up with your answers!
I just went back and edited in one more detail: #2 has muffs, which is also part of why I thought it was likely to be an Easter Egger.

Back
Top Bottom