What breed should I get? HELP! Can't decide!

I just read about Anconas. they are pretty too. Now I"m all muddled. I don't really care for the looks of Indian Runners. Sorry all you Indian Runner people. just like my ducks a bit more chuncky. Kinda like how I like my men!
smile.png

Haha, its hard isn't it!? We are a Runner family, but I think all the other breeds are lovely too! I had a look on efowl earlier and it seems the Blue Swedish are out of stock at the moment. How about:

1 Cayuga
1 Welsh Harlequin
1 Pekin
1 Rouen
1 Ancona
1 Buff

That would give you a great variety, and you said you wouldn't mind 6...?
tongue.png

Yes, I think that's what I'm going to have to do....is get one of each. I thought I'd like 2 of each but...well I'm sure that will come later. I also looked at the link bayyjayy posted. I like the description of runner ducks as "bowling pins" and I looked at the preservation website....oh man more to choose from! I cna't believe there's actually such a wonderful thing as silky ducks! I will have to get some of those some day!

Now, I'm wondering how to set up some water for winter. Do ducks need a place to actually swim in the winter? Or I was thinking of a big galvanized bucket with a bird bath water heater in it. Maybe will have to dig a hole to make in easier for them to get into. I think only one duck could fit at a time but at least they would have water for drinking and bathing in. Otherwise I'm not sure what to do for winter. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Well we have 3 kiddie pools for our ducks and when they freeze over in very cold weather we just take the layer of ice off and let them get on with it! I still find it hard to believe that they hop in and have a great time splashing around in water that I just took an inch-thick layer of ice off!
lol.png
Unless its super cold and will re-freeze in a matter of minutes, you may be able to get by without a heater. Drinking water can be a problem for us though, but usually it only freezes overnight when its colder and the water is still because the ducks aren't drinking much, so an early morning water change can solve the problem. I'm in the UK though, the winters aren't as extreme as the US!

Last winter, my first with ducks, I had to go out every morning and sometimes evening, take a huge sledgehammer to my pond. Then, I would scoop out the ice chunks with a shovel, and within minutes my ducks would be happily dunking and swimming! I always found it very weird that they love water that cold. So funny!

My hubby finally caved in to me getting a couple of ducks. I have chickens . My neighbors keep their 2 ducks with their chickens, thats my plan . I have a very large area for my birds closed in with 2 sets of mess poultry fencing.
Also I am not sure of what breed. been reading thru this thread
smile.png

anyone on here from NH and goes to the chicken swaps ?
All suggestions & help is welcome
caf.gif
:pop

Quote:
I think the hardest thing about getting ducks (or chickens for that matter) is deciding on what breed. The more research I do the more breeds I discover and just have to have...maybe one day.
smile.png
I'm still giddie from discovering silkie ducks!

I wish I could keep them in my chicken house but that's already maxed out with chickens lol! I think I have a plan and now need to decide to either go ahead and order ducklings through Mcmurrey or wait till Spring or at the least wait to see what they have at the poultry swap in Sept.

Good luck in your quest for the right breed!

Quote:
I think the hardest thing about getting ducks (or chickens for that matter) is deciding on what breed. The more research I do the more breeds I discover and just have to have...maybe one day.
smile.png
I'm still giddie from discovering silkie ducks!

I wish I could keep them in my chicken house but that's already maxed out with chickens lol! I think I have a plan and now need to decide to either go ahead and order ducklings through Mcmurrey or wait till Spring or at the least wait to see what they have at the poultry swap in Sept.

Good luck in your quest for the right breed!

oooo silkie ducks ? I not seen that one yet. we have a swap this Sunday here in NH. so I will C what is there. I don't want a real large breed, must B winter hardy. neighbor have 2 with their chickens, they R the popular white ducks. I could get a couple of eggs from them. But think I want color

Back
Top Bottom