What breed should I get?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chickencreek, Aug 28, 2014.

1. chickencreek

chickencreek Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2014
    I am looking for a breed that lays lots of eggs but is also very pretty any suggestions? The breeds I have so far is 1 australorp, 2 BO, 2 wyandottes, 1 BCM roo, and 1 BO RIR mix(the RIR came from the neigbors yard)

2. cubalaya

cubalaya Overrun With Chickens

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    get you some cubalayas

3. I like Hamburgs. They are very good layers and beautiful. The only downside is that they are somewhat flighty. Otherwise, they are very nice birds!

Here is a photo! (Courtesy of my pet chicken.com)

[​IMG]

-BantamLover55

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  4. chickencreek

Aug 10, 2014
    Ooh that's a very pretty chicken. I like the tail.

5. I'm glad you like it! Keep in mind that a hatchery bird will not look quite so "perfect," but they always look nice!

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You could add Speckled Sussex to your flock. They are beautiful with their combination of brown, white, and black spots and are good layers of large, brown eggs.

7. 273816

273816 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2014
    Australia
    I love red sex links. They have such a unique red colour and my Beatrice, my only layer and the first to do so, is so beautiful. They're also very kind natured and Beatrice loves to cuddle. She also lays very big brown eggs and is such a regular layer. I highly recommend this chicken to anyway; good layer, very lovely, beautiful colours.

Rachel. [​IMG]

8. I like speckled Sussex, too! That is another good option.

9. Aronia

Aronia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2014
    St. Catharines, ON
    My two favorite breeds are ''Rhode Island Red'' and ''Barred Plymouth Rock.''

10. chickencreek

Aug 10, 2014
    I will be sure to check out all of these chickens thanks for the replies everyone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by