What breed will you never have again? Me? It's...

Quote:
Generally REAL examples of a breed (bred to the ABA/APA Standards) Look different, act different and out produce these hatchery mongrels. Doesn't anyone notice that they are skinny, have shallow bodies are too tall for the breed and the tails stick straight up in the air? In the old days when chickens were used for the family food, those kinds of chickens were considered "un-thrifty" and were immediately culled. If you have a chicken that is shallow and narrow, it does not have the proper capacity for the organs and just does not do well. Along with that, hatcheries don't really care about temperament, so you end up with these loony birds. Real breeders consider temperament, since no one likes a mean chicken.

Walt Leonard

thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Generally REAL examples of a breed (bred to the ABA/APA Standards) Look different, act different and out produce these hatchery mongrels. Doesn't anyone notice that they are skinny, have shallow bodies are too tall for the breed and the tails stick straight up in the air? In the old days when chickens were used for the family food, those kinds of chickens were considered "un-thrifty" and were immediately culled. If you have a chicken that is shallow and narrow, it does not have the proper capacity for the organs and just does not do well. Along with that, hatcheries don't really care about temperament, so you end up with these loony birds. Real breeders consider temperament, since no one likes a mean chicken.

Walt Leonard

thumbsup.gif

I'll ask again. Please read my last post.

I just added 4 new chickens a few days ago. Two of them are Speckled Sussex, and I'm starting to doubt that decision. They have upset the calm in my flock. So far, I haven't even given them names, just Spazzo Sisters, or Britney and Jessica, or the Kardashians, Mary-Kate & Ashley, Tweedle-dum, and Tweedle-dee.......

They are just silly, flighty, and get my other birds all worked up, and then they get picked on 'cause I imagine they're so irritating. I am hoping things will calm down, if not, they will be headed back to the breeder for her to deal with!

I also got a White Wyandotte, and a Blue Splash Maran on the same day, and they have blended in beautifully with everyone. No personality conflicts there.

I guess I will give them a couple of weeks to calm down...maybe.

D'Uccles. They're so darn cute, but they're soooooooooooo prone to going broody it'll make you
he.gif
... and ours are escape artists who seem to be on a mission of trying to get eaten by hawks!
barnie.gif

Quote:
Shouldn't that go for ALL hatchery birds?
wink.png

NO, it shouldn't. My dark brahmas are some of the finest-looking, best temperment dark brahmas I have seen anywhere. I have had poultry judges confirm my suspiciions that my dark brahma roo is show quality. I won't ever show him, because I don't want to put him through the stress or risk disease being introduced to my now closed flock.
It is entirely possible that the breeder of certain birds, that supplies eggs to the hatchery, are concerned about the standard for that breed and are working on improving their line.

Please don't turn my thread into a debate on breeder vs. hatchery quality. I already acknowledged in my first post that my SFs are hatchery quality.

Of course, and as I stated in my reply on a breed I'd never get again, I simply stated what was said here. I'm not looking for hatchery vs show quality arguments, just stating that it isn't really a breed that I'd never get again, but that vast breeding of it. Of course there's great examples, such as yours (Always loved your Brahmas) I'm just stating my opinion, also answering to the fact that SO many people here judge their dislike of a breed on just this one chicken or a couple chickens from the same source of stock.

For example, I'd get a Buff Orpington again, sure, but not from hatchery stock. No arguments wanted, that's just my preference, and I love stating my reasons why.
wink.png

I myself would never put down a whole breed. . . Just Cornish hybrids and Production laying hybrids.
tongue.png

People have to start some where. Most start with hatchery chickens, and frankly, I think they should. Why spend a lot of money on breeders' chickens until one finds out if one actually likes having chickens? A certain number of people decide they don't once the novelty wears off. It would be a waste of good chickens. And why not experiment with different breeds with cheap hatchery chickens? I know they're not the real thing, but they give one an inkling of the real thing. Once one has a little experience under one's belt, one may very well want better chickens. That's when one starts going to shows, and looking into what is available from breeders. That's when one wants the wisdom of more experienced chicken people like Walt and Ilia.

Quote:

Walt Leonard

thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Hey I started with hatchery birds and still have em and love em. . . Nothing actually wrong with them in general, just to the eye of the beholder.
wink.png

And of course, it is very true that starting with cheap hatchery chicks is a good way to get to know if you actually want chickens or not, I just don't like how some of the breeds from hatcheries are such bad examples, and push people away from the breed. (Polish, Leghorns, Rhode Island Reds, Sultans, Houdans, etc. )

Honestly my only true issue is people who judge a breed based on the egg-laying capabilities or personality (skittish, mean, flighty, can't see very well, isn't tolerant of the climate) of ONE chicken. Or two, or three. . . Come'on.

Quote:
I'm with you on both counts- the away with the polish and love the favs!
smile.png

I love my polish... they are friendly, funny and very cool to watch.

I didn't mention anything about showing. Showing poultry is for only a small group of people that raise chickens. There are some hatcheries that do pay attention to what they are doing and MANY that get their eggs from breeders that know what they are doing. That is why they are called hatcheries instead of breeders. Many times they hatch other peoples eggs or the chicks are sent from the breeder with the hatchery labels on them. How do I know....because I have supplied eggs to hatcheries.

If the "source" cares about what the birds really are, you will get a decent product. There are a lot of people who think they can make a lot of money on poultry right now, so everyone is calling themselves a hatchery or breeder. Make sure the birds in the pictures are really the type of bird that they will sell and not one of my pictures they ripped off my or someone else's web page.

The only reason I post these kinds of comments is to make people aware of their options before the spend money and time for no good reason. Now that the heritage poultry movement is running strong, there are people taking advantage. just do some research. there are plenty of horror stories on this site.

My post was meant to be informative, not to disrupt your thread. I no longer sell eggs or chicks to anyone, so I have no personal stake in any of this.

My bottom line is that breeding has a lot to do with any breeds temperament, although a very few breeds will never be calm.

Walt Leonard

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom