What breed will you never have again? Me? It's...

Quote:
This is very true. I won't order California Whites from Ideal since they "reserve the right" to substitute Ideal 236. The problem with this is that the birds were not bred for the same purposes. The California White was bred for a longer laying life and to be of use on both small and large farms, and tends to be calmer than Leghorns. The Ideal 236 was bred for intense production.

The problem with selecting birds based on show standards was described by Professor Dryden when he was head of poultry science at Oregon Agricultural College (now Oregon State University); he noted that there was little correlation between show ring conformation requirements and actual egg production. In 1935, at the time of his death in a car accident not far from his breeding farm in the California Central Valley, he was generally regarded as the foremost poultry breeder in the world. He bred Lady McDuff, 7/8 Leghorn, 1/8 Plymouth Rock, and the first hen to be documented as laying more than 300 eggs in a year; he also bred Oregona, a Leghorn who was the first hen to produce more than 1,000 eggs in a laying career that spanned more than five years. His goals were a bird with high production and a laying life of four years; the Ideal 236 was bred for the cage production of the 1960s.

I'm not interested in conformation unless it is coupled with production. Chickens are not the only animal whose utility value has been damaged or destroyed by emphasis on conformation; the American Quarter Horse now has a subset descended from one halter show ring TB stallion, Mirage, that is prone to falling down and being unable to get up when working - this is a considerable threat to the rider, and makes a significant portion of Quarter Horses useless for even such light practical work as recreational riding - let alone the hard work in a cow camp.

SULTANS!!! I have 2 hens (LOVE the precious hens) and 2 Roos. The roos are noisy noisy noisy and MEAN!! They will even chase me and get me with their feet! JUST PLAIN MEAN!! My Brown Leghorns are seperated from all other chickens because they will kill the Sultan Roos but, the Sultans will run up behind my Cochin roo and pull his feathers out too. They chase my Golden Laced Wyandotte roo to beat him up too. They are mean to ALL the hens. My 3rd coop will be done this weekend and I will be so glad to get them away from all the others.
Definately Sultan Roosters!! Would NEVER EVER own Sultan Roosters again.

Quote:
Same here! We had two Silver laced hens and oh my!! They were so mean to our Silkies, they would pick on them until they bled! They were horrible to catch and pecked you when you did catch them. They were wonderful egg layers though and since we got rid of them our eggs have slowed wayyy down!
hmm.png

I love my Silver Laced Wyandottes!!! They are so pretty and so nice. They lay lots of eggs and have been great broodies and mothers. My roo is so sweet to all his lady friends and me. I dont know why mine are so differant, but not a one is bad in my book. They do make lots of sounds (not all do I like) but I love mine and am breeding them soon.
I like my Polish hen also she is so sweet and loves to fallow me around. She is not very smart but is really nice.

Now, New Hampshire chickens That is a mean chicken my roo jumped me and others. Pluse my hens are so mean to every one they are no fun to have around Never again will I have New Hampshire chickens.

I enjoy reading all the different experiences that people have had with the various breeds. Thank you. My two cents. Years ago back in high school I ordered some silver spangled hamburgs. Once they were free range, it was good luck catching them again! I didn't know there were chickens that could darn near fly as well as the sparrows in the barn yard! It is because of this total lack of wanting people around that I'd probably pass on ever getting them again. But it isn't cause I hated them. Just they weren't as personable as my other chickens in the flock. They even stuck together in their own seperate group. Like they were a different species of bird! Funny I keep hearing about RIRs over and over. That's one breed my wife has experience with now and will NOT ever get again. Although she admits the hens are wonderful layers and they had a special pet that was a RIR as did I way back in high school.

RIRs are awesome heritage birds (well, not from a hatchery) and they have a reputation, and said reputation is true, with the roosters being extremely protective as far as attacking humans...I have seen every breed do and not do this.
It is the individual bird as well as his breed that makes him nutso.
And the hens are always nice, albeit for broodiness, where the BOs are queen to being insanelt vociferous and screaming for weeks after the 4 mo old babies were taken from her.
SCREAMING and only at me, if I went in the house she shut up.
barnie.gif

I have lt Brahma hens for brooders, and broode they do, and can squat over, and raise 2 dozen eggs with no problem...each bird breed has its pros and cons.
And as far as never having another breed...I cannot think of any I have ever had in my life that I will never have again, although the turkeys were infactuated with my daughter (imprinted) and the Guineas are insane but oh so cool....

Such differing opinions!
pop.gif

We're still fairly new to chickens but I have observed the following about ours:
The wyandotte hens are all totally freaked out about being handled. They seem scared of their own shadows. We have columbian and gold laced.
My RIR rooster is the absolute favorite of our family. We love him - he's got a nice personality and is easily handled.
My Buckeye rooster - he is still young enough to be a little unsure of himself but I can see in his eyes that he is wild. He hates being handled and never seems to settle when we do get a hold of him. He grumbles the entire time. I don't think I would ever have another Buckeye roo.
My orpingtons will all let us reach down and pet or pick them up.

I have heard it said that roosters that have been handled a lot while growing up tend to be the most aggressive towards people. I wonder what your situations are with these roosters that are going after you.

We have not handled any of ours, and (so far) have had no issues with them.

Our chicks have been hen raised, rather than handled a lot by us, and so the only hens that let us handle them are the ones we've had to bring inside and nurse for a while. I'm thinking I should do a rotation with them in my kitchen. ha.
bethanyrae

Quote:
That is untrue. 4H kids handle their roosters for showmanship and I don't see any mean ones. Some fall asleep during the contest though. I have never experienced a male getting mean because of handling and I have raised chickens for over 40 years. Meaness in any breed is mostly genetics and environment. If a bird has never been handled it will usually be wild and possibly mean.

Walt

Back
Top Bottom