What breed?

kharmon320

Songster
Sep 6, 2015
South Carolina
I recently hatched out a variety of eggs with a broody hen and in the incubator. Several are barnyard mixes, but 5 of the eggs were supposed to be orpingtons, either: lavender, chocolate, or mottled. Three of them hatched, two never developed, but they were not marked by the person who gave them to me. I've asked several times for photos of his chicks, but without success. He said the chocolate pair are both visually chocolate, so I don't think they could be chocolate. He said the mottleds looked like this at hatch, but they do not look like any mottled chick pictures I can find. They were free and I'm happy to have them, but I'm dying to know what type of chicks. I don't think they look like any of the possible options, but they look like Black Orpingtons to me. I'm attaching a picture of hatch day (one on right in the bucket) and then the next day. All three that hatched looked very similar at hatch. They are very heavy bodied with thick legs, now almost 4 weeks old. All of the toes are now uniformly dark. So far, there are no white marks on any of the black feathers coming in. I also highly suspect at least 2 are boys but know it is too early to tell.
orpchick3.jpg
Orpingtonchicks.jpg
orpchick2.jpg

Thank you, JedJackson! Unfortunately, two out of the three have combs/wattles this big and pinking up. The third one I'm on the fence about. It is much smaller in body size, no tail yet, and smaller comb but I think all three may be cockerels. Out of eight chicks, I suspect at least 5 are cockerels, but it's still too soon to be sure.

Thank you, JedJackson! Unfortunately, two out of the three have combs/wattles this big and pinking up. The third one I'm on the fence about. It is much smaller in body size, no tail yet, and smaller comb but I think all three may be cockerels. Out of eight chicks, I suspect at least 5 are cockerels, but it's still too soon to be sure.
What a bummer! I would give them a bit of time, though. 7 or 8 weeks is a good time for sexing.

Here's the one I'm on the fence about, but I know it's really early. My gut says its also a boy. It's not screaming cockerel like the other two, but that seems like alot of comb for 3.5/4 weeks.
orpchick7.jpg

Back
Top Bottom