What breed?

Ticalexander

In the Brooder
May 31, 2020
Hi my ducks are about to lay and I was curious what breed they are and what color they may lay... the lady I purchased them from said they were Ancona but I’ve been told otherwise by some people... I thought they might be a Cayuga Ancona mix but didn’t know whether there a completely different breed. When I asked her why they were so dark as Anconas are usually lighter she said sometimes they come out that way but a figured I might ask fellow ancona owners if that’s how the ducks sometimes look. They also seem to be much smaller than other Anconas so I was wondering what they are or if they really are just Anconas. Also if they are a different breed what egg color they may lay. There full grown next to my Pekins in the photo for some scale.

Attachments

• 168538DE-D370-4C2D-B190-D71987D391AE.jpeg
    168538DE-D370-4C2D-B190-D71987D391AE.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 40
  • 541A4DF4-A32B-49F4-A558-6B0B705A66A4.jpeg
    541A4DF4-A32B-49F4-A558-6B0B705A66A4.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 35
They look like Swedish blues to me, maybe black Swedish
Thanks for your response! That’s interesting to me... I have told the lady she gave me the wrong breed of duck however she says a high amount turn out this way? I’m a little confused as when googling too much color in Anconas I was not able to find anything... also do you know if mixed breeds lay because I bought females so I could have ones that lay so I’m hoping they still will if they are a mix. Thanks

The 2 dark ones look like mixed breeds
Is there any chance they are Anconas? I bought them and told they lady this isn’t how Anconas look however she responded that a high amount come out with “too much color” I just am worried that if there mixed they may not lay. I’m new to duck raising and didn’t know if they still lay if there mixed? Thanks

It is possible but not common for anconas to be marked that way.
Unless you know the parents and the parents are pure anconas, you should consider them mixed breeds

It is possible but not common for anconas to be marked that way.
Unless you know the parents and the parents are pure anconas, you should consider them mixed breeds
Okay! Does this mean they will still lay even if they are mixed?

Yes they will still lay
Thank you so much! I was very worried and this relieved my stress so much! I have heard that sometime ducks won’t under some circumstances in breeding even if there females, do you know anything about that? Again, thank you so much!!!😉😅😁

Back
Top Bottom