What breeds are good for kids?

hopescholar

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 2, 2013
What breeds are good choices for kids? I know that good breeding and better socialization goes a long way, but breeds do have trends in type and behavior. I am not sure what the words "Calm," "Flighty,""Active," or "Docile" actually mean in terms of behavior.

Specific to my situation, I am starting a flock and it may became apart of a hatching project for preschoolers. I have several breeds in mind. Several different breeds so that the kids can try to figure out which chick is what breed. I have done some research so I think that all of these will fit my needs at home, where the birds will live. I prefer ALBC heritage dual breeds or unique dual breeds. I am planning on meat and eggs. They will also need to endure confinement in the winter and be winter hardy. I prefer breeders, but hatching eggs may come from hatcheries like McMurray, My Pet Chicken, or Stromberg.

With that in mind, my big list is in alphabetical order with color because there seem to be differences in type:

Ameraucana (Black, Blue, Splash)
Barnevelder (Double Laced)
Buckeye (Red)
Chantecler (White)
Delaware (Columbian)
Dorking (Silver)
Java (Mottled)
Jersey Giant (Black, Blue?)
Marans (Not Sure)
Sussex (Speckled)
Wyandotte (Golden Laced,Silver Penciled)

Are these basically friendly, calm breeds that can tolerate child handling with adult supervision? Another question is with training can you handle them and perform routine care without needing a net and heavy clothing?

All breeds are going to need supervision, partly for the children's sake and partly for the chicken's sake. I think more than breed how they are raised has the most effect on personality. I think silkies are very docile birds, and very good with children.

Oh yeah you can train them to be workable with out nets and stuff.

To answer your first question Calm in my experience means that they don't easily get agitated and are not very active, as in they do not seek to wander and constantly explore, although they will if given the chance!

Flighty means that they are rather easily scared and will fly/jump/run whatever it takes to get away if they are afraid.

Active means, well, active! They do seek to run explore play and conquer and won't take well to being in to small of a coop, and what is to small for them will always change in their mind. The grass is always greener on the other side is the active birds motto!

Docile means that they will allow you to pick them up , still require initial training though, carry them pet them and pretty much whatever you want! This also applies to other more outgoing birds though. The most docile bird in coop is usually the most picked on.

Now I have a few Easter Eggers. Those are basically any, either or Americaunas or araucaaunas. Thet are rather friendly however mine have a bit of a biting problem and they are rather oppurtunistic birds. Just wanted to throw that out there!

Hope I helped a little and good luck in your adventure!

Really depends on the individual line and the individual birds. All of those dual purpose types will be large birds for child size hands to handle. I have only raised three of the breeds on that list (Ameracauna, Jersey Giant, Delaware) out of those the Ameracaunas were the only ones with a decent personality in both sexes. I found the Delaware cock birds aggressive toward humans, and the Jersey Giant cock birds were aggressive towards both (only breed in 19, going on 20 years I've had that the male actually killed another bird). That said, I have heard that those issues are extremely unusual for those breeds. Dorkings are supposed to be fairly docile birds, I'd love to confirm that but mine are only 6 weeks old (but they are the only ones in the brooders that don't head for the hills when I come out to check on them).

I will also second the comment that children should always be supervised with any animal.

Last edited:
All breeds are going to need supervision, partly for the children's sake and partly for the chicken's sake.  I think more than breed how they are raised has the most effect on personality.  I think silkies are very docile birds, and very good with children.

You are Spot on as far as temperament. For 3 years now we have had chickens, ducks, and guinea Fowl. Completely raised together until 8 months of age(removed guinea Fowl). Other than that, the birds are a reflection of our little boy. He watches them, feeds them takes really great care of them. So ThanksThanks. You are Awesome.

Back
Top Bottom