What breeds do you recommend?

I recommend that you pick the prettiest chickens: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/go-ahead-pick-the-prettiest-chickens.76277/ :D

Living in central NC at the border of zone 7b/8a, I have a very similar climate to you so I avoided the breeds like Chanticleer that were specifically-breed for very cold climates. You can assume that any Mediterranean breed will do well in our climate and it's generally believed that most of the "standard" dual-purpose breeds are widely adapted to many climates.

In my current flock I am particularly impressed by my Welp Blue Australorps and I loved my Delawares in the previous flock.

If you're on heavy clay soil you'll need to know that feather-footed breeds may need some extra maintenance, but if you're on the sand like I am it's ideal for feathered feet.

When designing a coop for our steamy, hot summers you'll want to think VENTILATION, VENTILATION, VENTILATION. My rule of thumb is that if it's hotter inside than out I need to add more vents. :)

Australorps do well, Easter Eggers, I don’t know how well BOs do in comparison but I know people keep them here and they seem to live. Naked necks are supposed to be very good hot weather chickens. I can also recommend Rhode Island Reds i know they are really common but that’s for a reason. They are really hardy birds and have done well in my hot weather. And like other have said have as much ventilation as possible and maybe add a fan. My coop is tall with a large vent across one side and 2 windows with hog wire nailed down so they can be left open. Also my coop is unsealed and there are gaps small between all the side boards. Any gaps big enough that a snake or mouse might come through have hardware cloth stapled over.

My Buff Orpingtons do okay in the heat, with a little help on the hottest days. I'm in Virginia, so we get just as hot and humid as you. I put a barn fan in the run for the hottest days, and offer frozen watermelon, and other frozen treats when it's over 100F. Shade is also key, like you stated. My BO rooster is very well behaved with the kids and I. Mine are pets as well, but they lay consistently, even in the winter. Whichever breed you go with, good luck and enjoy them. I wouldn't worry about the heat while shipping. They ship chicks at 1 day old. Mine stay in the 100F incubator for the first 24 hours, and sit under a 95F heat plate after that. If you have any concerns, you might be able to source some chicks at your local feed store.
Those are great ideas! I’m glad to hear that! Thank you so much!
I recommend that you pick the prettiest chickens: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/go-ahead-pick-the-prettiest-chickens.76277/ :D

Living in central NC at the border of zone 7b/8a, I have a very similar climate to you so I avoided the breeds like Chanticleer that were specifically-breed for very cold climates. You can assume that any Mediterranean breed will do well in our climate and it's generally believed that most of the "standard" dual-purpose breeds are widely adapted to many climates.

In my current flock I am particularly impressed by my Welp Blue Australorps and I loved my Delawares in the previous flock.

If you're on heavy clay soil you'll need to know that feather-footed breeds may need some extra maintenance, but if you're on the sand like I am it's ideal for feathered feet.

When designing a coop for our steamy, hot summers you'll want to think VENTILATION, VENTILATION, VENTILATION. My rule of thumb is that if it's hotter inside than out I need to add more vents. :)
That article was very informative and I totally agree that choosing the prettiest ones can be the hardest part :D
That’s great to hear what works for you in a similar climate! I will look into those breeds as well! Thank you so much! I’ve learned a lot from you guys on BYB on ventilation and that’s definitely essential for our “sauna” weather Lol! I appreciate your time! :thumbsup

That article was very informative and I totally agree that choosing the prettiest ones can be the hardest part :D
That’s great to hear what works for you in a similar climate! I will look into those breeds as well! Thank you so much! I’ve learned a lot from you guys on BYB on ventilation and that’s definitely essential for our “sauna” weather Lol! I appreciate your time!

Thank you.

Where are you in the coop process? Do you have a design in mind?

I've got a little coop with a Monitor Roof and we are in the process of building an Open Air Coop.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-little-monitor-coop.76275/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/large-open-air-coop-in-central-nc.1443812/ (At the moment it's just stacks of lumber and holes for posts).

Thank you.

Where are you in the coop process? Do you have a design in mind?

I've got a little coop with a Monitor Roof and we are in the process of building an Open Air Coop.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-little-monitor-coop.76275/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/large-open-air-coop-in-central-nc.1443812/ (At the moment it's just stacks of lumber and holes for posts).
I have a few designs in mind but we’re still finalizing, but will be using salvaged wood mostly if possible. I have a lot of different ones saved to determine which works best for us, but we want a very decent size in case we decide to get more chicks later on! I do plan on them having a very decent size run as well, and they also will be free ranging outside of the coop and run with my supervision.

Your current coop is so great and I love that you mention what has worked for you and what hasn’t! Very helpful in determining how we build. Thank you for sharing!
The idea for an open coop is fantastic! I’ll have to look into that. Can’t wait to see the final results!

Hands down Houdans. They’re not flighty. Lay a medium size egg. Super nosey/friendly. They are the first to check everything out, follow me around. All 3 of mine do the same.

Attachments

• 680975F6-6347-4D7A-B164-596A05B90441.jpeg
    680975F6-6347-4D7A-B164-596A05B90441.jpeg
    254.5 KB · Views: 2
I have a few designs in mind but we’re still finalizing, but will be using salvaged wood mostly if possible. I have a lot of different ones saved to determine which works best for us, but we want a very decent size in case we decide to get more chicks later on! I do plan on them having a very decent size run as well, and they also will be free ranging outside of the coop and run with my supervision.

Your current coop is so great and I love that you mention what has worked for you and what hasn’t! Very helpful in determining how we build. Thank you for sharing!
The idea for an open coop is fantastic! I’ll have to look into that. Can’t wait to see the final results!

Thank you. I was originally planning a conventional, shed roof but DH found out about Monitor Roofs and it's been the best decision of the entire chicken process.

This is one of my inspirations for my new coop:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/texas-coop-build-pic-heavy.1371038/

Thank you. I was originally planning a conventional, shed roof but DH found out about Monitor Roofs and it's been the best decision of the entire chicken process.

This is one of my inspirations for my new coop:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/texas-coop-build-pic-heavy.1371038/
Wow that’s amazing! You have had me looking into these open air coops, perfect for the heat and humidity! Thank you! I think we will try and do something similar as well! Really awesome design. I appreciate your help!

Hands down Houdans. They’re not flighty. Lay a medium size egg. Super nosey/friendly. They are the first to check everything out, follow me around. All 3 of mine do the same.
They’re so beautiful and cute! How fun! I will totally read up on these girls! Thank you! First thing I read when I googled them was friendly! :yesss:

Wow that’s amazing! You have had me looking into these open air coops, perfect for the heat and humidity! Thank you! I think we will try and do something similar as well! Really awesome design. I appreciate your help!

You're welcome.

I wouldn't have known about these things if the good people here at BYC hadn't taught me about them when I was new.

Back
Top Bottom