What breeds generally come into play with an EE?

Kataloo

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 4, 2014
Utah
Are there breeds that most hatcheries cross to get EEs? I have two great EE chicks. Chick #1 is a darling little girl with darker colors. When I looked for EEs she is what I saw a lot of.

When I first saw Chick #2 I thought she was a Buff Orpington. Then I noticed her color was a little lighter than a Buff and she had the tell-tale puffy cheeks with darker legs. She has matured waay faster than her 2 Buff sisters. I hoping that helps to I.D. who her possible parent might be, or maybe "she" is a "he". She is getting white feathers, with a lot of light brown accents. The light color is about the same brown as my Buffs. I am particularly wondering about this chick.

My guess for Chick #1 is Ameraucana mixed with ?
My guess for Chick #2 is Araucana perhaps mixed with a Buff Orpington or maybe a New Hampshire.

I will post pics when I can get my phone and computer to like each other. I live in a rural area and can't get to the store to buy the needed card or cable. But until then any guesses?

Last edited:
Your birds aren't necessarily mixed with anything, they're just Easter eggers. I personally feel hatcheries mix in Leghorn blood in pretty much all their production lines from time to time, but you're as a rule not going to get a first generation bird from that mix. Your blonde EE is just another color they come in...

Here's a couple of my blonde EE ladies, I think they're from McMurray hatchery--possibly Ideal.

The good news is this color is pretty much always female! It's similar in color to a red sex link hen, just usually more extreme on the white. Not saying these EE are sex linked at all, just a similar color that's female.

Easter eggers were actually aroung long before Ameraucanas became a recognized breed, so EE don't come from Ameraucanas as a rule. They're just thier own thing!

Your birds aren't necessarily mixed with anything, they're just Easter eggers. I personally feel hatcheries mix in Leghorn blood in pretty much all their production lines from time to time, but you're as a rule not going to get a first generation bird from that mix. Your blonde EE is just another color they come in...

Here's a couple of my blonde EE ladies, I think they're from McMurray hatchery--possibly Ideal.

The good news is this color is pretty much always female! It's similar in color to a red sex link hen, just usually more extreme on the white. Not saying these EE are sex linked at all, just a similar color that's female.

Easter eggers were actually aroung long before Ameraucanas became a recognized breed, so EE don't come from Ameraucanas as a rule. They're just thier own thing!

Thanks, that is very helpful. I'm happy to hear this. : - ) Do EEs grow faster than other breeds?

Last edited:
Here is my old flock leader EE, Pine:

Does your first chick look like her?

Without seeing pictures it's had to determine, but by the sounds of it you have a girl and boy.

I need to get the pics and then I will be asking about boy/girl. I was mostly wondering about what breeds they come from?

Here is my old flock leader EE, Pine:

Does your first chick look like her?

The light colored chick is about 3 weeks old. I just got Chick #1 less than a week ago. She looks like this picture I found this on the internet. Is your EE a hen? I would have guessed rooster. Shows you what I know. :)

Last edited:
The light colored chick is about 3 weeks old. I just got Chick #1 less than a week ago. She looks like the pic at the bottom of the message. I found this on the internet. Is your EE a hen? I would have guessed rooster. Shows you what I know. :)
Yep, she is a hen. Quite a hawklike looke in that picture.:p

Back
Top Bottom