What breeds have you had the best experience with?

My friendliest chickens have been my BO, RIR, Light Brahma, and Austalorp. These are the ones that aren't skittish around my kids, in fact the BO and the RIR actually belong to my 5 and 9 yr olds and they follow my daughters like puppies.

I would like to reccommend EEs.. but at the same time LOL mine don't seem to stop flying. They aren't terribly noisy, but they're the only ones out of my flock that can fly over the fence with little effort.

Rhode Island Red!!! I only have one in my current flock (and it was a "mistake" that I received it). It is our friendliest chicken. We recently decided to expand our flock next spring and everyone in our family immediately said they wanted more RIR. We will probably get 4 - 6 more.

Since several people have mentioned EE, I will mention my experience. I have three pullets. 1 is definitely laying nearly day. I get 2 EE eggs most days and 3 is not uncommon. I will be adding more of these to my flock next year. I have not seen them fly. One of them can be a little noisy at times but it is not the nosiest bird. (That "honor" goes to my White Leghorn with the 2 Black Australrops being a close second.) The other two are quiet. All three of my EE started laying at around 20 - 21 weeks.

Well I've got brand new Dellies coming but the Ques. was which breed/experience. So I've got to go with Production red and Sex-links both red and black types. All are calm and lay the most eggs out of any of my previously owned breeds.

If you are looking for one type for breeding then go with New Hampshires, Barred Rocks, Rhode Island Reds, look at the popular breeds usually supply and demand don't give false info as the majority of consumers aren't going to have something of lesser quality.

catdaddy

Some great breeds listed so far, but I'll take the blackAustrolorp. Friendly, great layer, quiet. Never fly unless forced to. Extremely gentle.

EEs, Wyandottes, Light Brahma, Black Australorps, Dominique and Giant Cochins. I do have one very talkative loud cochin but she is the only one.

Last edited:
SILKIES
smile.png

quietest
can't fly at all
loving
gentle
even lay eggs when in the mood.....
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom