What breeds lay best and earliest?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cherrychicken, Jan 24, 2009.

1. cherrychicken

cherrychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Im thinking about wyandottes and barred rocks. Any suggestions?

2. RHewitt

RHewitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Most sex link varities lay the best a couple types I have used are black and red star sex links. Rhode Island Reds are great.The two you mentioned are also good layers of brown eggs.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  3. Poorfarmer

Poorfarmer Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2008
    Sherburne NY
    I have Golden Comets and they stared laying @ 18 wks since I have been getting eggs everyday from them steady even in the cold

4. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Hatchery RIRs are great egg layers.

5. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    All I know about Wyandottes is that they are pretty birds.

At 21 & 22 weeks, my Barred Rocks layed before the Australorps. That surprised me since these BR's are larger birds and the Aussies are good layers. The BR's have been cranking out eggs most days for nearly 3 months now. Their eggs are somewhat smaller generally than the Aussies.

Barred Rocks were an important commercial breed about 100 years ago. Aussies and RIR's replaced some of those BR flocks. Aussies faded and now we've got a lot of the RIR's and their hybrids as brown egg layers. I believe that's how the history has gone [​IMG].

The closer you get to the modern commercial strains, probably, the more eggs you will get. All other things being equal that is . . .

Steve

6. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Stars and RIRs and Leghorns.

7. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    Both my Brabanters and Orloffs Are winter layers! We have a lot of eggs now at temps in the teens-0-!

8. Chef

Chef Chicken Connoisseur

Dec 16, 2008
    So.Cal
    Yes production rir's just lay lay lay.

Chef

9. Country Guy John

Country Guy John Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    South Carolina
    I have barred rock and they started laying exactly 20 weeks to the day. They continue to lay well even during the shorter days.

10. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Any of the hybrid's (sex-links) seem to lay the earliest and they seem to lay up a storm! Most of your standards typically lay 2 + weeks later than any of the hybrids.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by