What breeds made me?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Buster, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Any guesses on what mix this is? He has a rose comb and grey legs with 5 toes. He also has white earlobes. I was thinking Hamburg with something 5 toed thrown in like faverolle or dorking. He stands pretty straight. The first pic has one of my NHR hens behind him for size comparison. He's slightly smaller than my hens. He's definitely banty or banty cross. He's at least 7 months old. Maybe 8 or 9.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I have no real idea, but his stance reminds me of a Dorking rooster. Nice boy.

3. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Maybe a Hamburg/ Dorking cross then?

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

No telling! When you start crossing, sometimes the end product can have a deceiving appearance, LOL.

5. Buster

Buster Back to Work

This little guy thinks he's really something now that I let him out of his cage to be with the girls while I work on my big roo.

6. ParkerVA

ParkerVA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Blue Ridge, VA
    Where did he come from? IE, did they have certain breeds that would narrow down the choices? I don't know about Dorking, they have very long flat backs and there body is very horizontal, this guy is very upright in his breast. I think Hamburg is a good pick, not sure what else though!

7. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    His coloring is almost a match for one of my EE cockerals. Not saying that one might be in the mix somewhere, just thought it was cool. [​IMG] He's very handsome!

8. wclawrence

wclawrence Chillin' With My Peeps

something with Hamburg sounds right to me, too. But really there is no telling unless you know where he came from, and can narrow it down a little, like ParkerVA said.

9. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Quote:My son caught this bird in a chicken scramble at a rodeo, so I don't know where he came from. The reason I thought maybe Dorking was because he has 5 toes, and of the non-crested breeds, I could only find Faverolles and Dorking that had 5 toes. He has no muff or beard and nice waddles and clean legs, so I ruled out Faverolles. Thanks for everyone's input. He's a nice little guy, but I'll probably have to re-home him by spring.

10. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Mabe soem sort of Brahm

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by