What breeds make the best broody hens?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by WestVermont, Jan 3, 2013.

1. WestVermont

WestVermont Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2012
    Bennington, Vermont
    I would like to skip the incubator and use broody hens... what breeds are best for this?

2. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

Silkies world wide known are the best broody hens no matter if they are first time mothers they would actually be good layers if they didn't good broody so often, also cochins most bantams and Pekins are also great broody's.

3. moncktj

moncktj Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2012
    yeh they live to brood and raise chicks no matter what breed

4. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    My best broody hen was a Buff Orpington. I like the larger breeds because they cover more eggs and can keep more chicks warm. I have a Golden Laced Wyandotte who also just hatched and raised 6 chicks for me and even with a staggered hatch (2 are 3 days older) she didn't lose any of them.

My silkies are actually having nothing to do with broodiness...but that's just mine. It really depends on the individual bird. You really just have to let them have a go and see how they do.

5. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    My silkies are my most frequent brooders. I have 4 right now sharing a nest box.. Anything silkie mixed would be good too. They're not ideal for larger eggs though, but I guess if you have 4 like me brooding together you put larger eggs in. Like 2 for each hen, so that makes 8 large fowl.
    Cochins are broody often too, mine are not good mothers though. Horrible mothers but good at sitting on them... My old english game bantam hens go broody, never had them hatch so I don't know about mothering.

6. Sweetly Silkies

Sweetly Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2012
    MO
    My Coop
    silkies are raised to brood. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by