What breeds make the best broody hens?

My best broody hen was a Buff Orpington. I like the larger breeds because they cover more eggs and can keep more chicks warm. I have a Golden Laced Wyandotte who also just hatched and raised 6 chicks for me and even with a staggered hatch (2 are 3 days older) she didn't lose any of them.

My silkies are actually having nothing to do with broodiness...but that's just mine. It really depends on the individual bird. You really just have to let them have a go and see how they do.

My silkies are my most frequent brooders. I have 4 right now sharing a nest box.. Anything silkie mixed would be good too. They're not ideal for larger eggs though, but I guess if you have 4 like me brooding together you put larger eggs in. Like 2 for each hen, so that makes 8 large fowl.
Cochins are broody often too, mine are not good mothers though. Horrible mothers but good at sitting on them... My old english game bantam hens go broody, never had them hatch so I don't know about mothering.

silkies are raised to brood.
thumbsup.gif

My silkies were born to be mothers. They teamed up and shared the job. One's back clucky at the moment, she's in on the eggs every day (no dad in the flock, it isn't going to happen :()
I'd agree from my limited experience that silkies are a good bet to get a clucky one/two. My other hen Flossie was also a good mum, she's a cross-breed though so that isn't helpful to you.

Back
Top Bottom