What breeds should I get???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Sienatiger, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Sienatiger

Sienatiger Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2014
    With the girls!
    I am planning on ordering chicks from my pet chicken and have most of my shopping cart full, but still have room for a few more hens. Any suggestions or ideas as to what breeds I should order? I would love to hear your favorite breeds! Thank you!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It all depends upon what you are looking for : dual purpose, meat, eggs.

3. Sienatiger

Sienatiger Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2014
    With the girls!
    I'm open to anything but preferably egg laying. I like the interesting, pretty looking breeds as well.

4. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Get a couple of Marans. They come in pretty color and lay lovely dark eggs. How about a couple of Polish or Houdan? They both have lovely topknots of feathers on top their heads. Striking birds!
    Best,
    Karen

5. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    You can never go wrong with Easter Eggers.

6. shortgrass

shortgrass Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado
    Definitely EEs! The range of colors, no 2 hens really look alike, minty green eggs make for a colorful egg basket, and they're pretty friendly :)

Barred Rocks. I love their color pattern, look like zebra chickens lol, and they have spunky personalities; lay very well, nice large eggs.

Red Stars. I swore I'd never have matching hens in my flock, but I love the red stars for their big eggs and sweet demeanor, even though I can only tell them apart when I look real close at their combs ;)

Black Australorps, same as red stars, essentially. But black, and the prettiest brown eyes on a chicken :D

Cochin. Not a super egg layer, but big eggs when they do, and they're so fluffy and pretty and unique with their feathered feet. Also super friendly and super broodies if you ever decide to hatch eggs.(that could be a minus, though, they do go broody and don't lay when they're broody)

Hamburg. Super layers, but small eggs. Beautiful colors, but very very flighty.

Those are my faves for egg laying in my flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by