What can Cortunix be bred with?

Jacob Duckman

Chirping
Jul 4, 2016
Lehigh Valley
I've got a flock of coturnix and I've been wondering what other subspecies of old world quail or closely related species they can breed with. I'd love to try some hybridization. Thanks!

Last edited:
007Sean or TwoCrows or JaeG might know, if you want to link them. But I think that most undomesticated quail are illegal to own without a license. Besides, Coturnix are Japanese. You'd be spending a lot of money to get something from Japan, I think.

007Sean or TwoCrows or JaeG might know, if you want to link them. But I think that most undomesticated quail are illegal to own without a license. Besides, Coturnix are Japanese. You'd be spending a lot of money to get something from Japan, I think.

There's like 100 names for that quail... Lol def not coming from japan tho

Apart from coturnix japonica and coturnix coturnix, which are probably already crossed in the 'coturnix' quail we know, I wouldn't attempt any hybridisation. There are probably other species they can hybridize with - according to wikipedia there are 6 species in the coturnix genus, and my guess would be they can breed with all, though the offspring of some might be infertile.
But the other species are so rarely seen in captivity, they'd be much more valuable if kept pure. Also it'll be less risky for the animals - a 'rain quail' might not be able to live a stress free life with a coturnix quail, and hybrid offspring might not be as healthy as the pure species.

Back
Top Bottom