Coturnix noisy at night?

MixedBreed

In the Brooder
Dec 8, 2022
Hi. I'm planning to get some coturnix soon. Just making more preparations. I've got some kings (in a different cage) and so very quiet. What I've read is that coturnix are noisy at night. The boys can crow. But is this because of the commotion or lights on in the house (for these other people that have jap quails)? I.E. if I close up their room (at night) so that there is little light or commotion, will the quail boy be relatively quiet and go to sleep like my king quail do?

Hi. I'm planning to get some coturnix soon. Just making more preparations. I've got some kings (in a different cage) and so very quiet. What I've read is that coturnix are noisy at night. The boys can crow. But is this because of the commotion or lights on in the house (for these other people that have jap quails)? I.E. if I close up their room (at night) so that there is little light or commotion, will the quail boy be relatively quiet and go to sleep like my king quail do?
With no light they don't seem to make any noise at all, just turn of lights at bedtime and if it's still too bright pop a towel over their cage. Most boys are pretty quiet, I haven't had a loud quail for quite a while 🙂

Compared to a male chicken they are very quiet, but inside the house I don’t think they’re terribly quiet. Never heard my aviary at night, older more mellow birds. My grow out cage in the garage however is a bit rowdy rn. Probably just one or two feeling frustrated in the bachelor pad.

That bachelor pad I’ve never heard in the dead of night but I have heard after / before light. Never tried placing a towel over their cages though.

My coturnix brooder is in a spare bedroom. The hatchlings are pretty quiet after lights out and only really make any noise if I happen to look in on them and bring a light. At 3 weeks old, they move out to my garage. I hear an occasional crow from out there, but it's not often. Both the spare bedroom and the garage have lights on timers that turn them off at 10:00 PM. There's one of those bug zappers at the other end of the garage from their cages. It generates a dim blue light, so that may have some impact. Maybe if there was no light, they'd be even quieter.

my coturnix are in a large outdoor aviary. even with our automatic backyard lights, they never seem to wake up. coturnix will wake up if there is excessive commotion around them, so i'd recommend keeping them in a room which stays dark and has little to no action during the night.

My hens hardly make any noise at all. Some quiet peeping amongst themselves, that’s it. I hear their egg songs in the afternoons occasionally and that’s as loud as they get. I don’t have a rooster. Mine are also outside in an aviary.

I brood in the room next to my bedroom and very rarely hear them. They live in my sunporch off my living room and I only hear them when something is wrong (cat in the window, fireworks startled them, etc).

my coturnix are in a large outdoor aviary. even with our automatic backyard lights, they never seem to wake up. coturnix will wake up if there is excessive commotion around them, so i'd recommend keeping them in a room which stays dark and has little to no action during the night.
Yes that is the plan. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom