What can I plant for my chickens as treats?

luvanimals2

Songster
9 Years
Sep 15, 2010
Hi, I am expecting day olds next week and I am a gardener too. I would like to sow some seeds so they can munch on it later. I got the idea because I saw a Tasty Chicken treat pack from Sandhill but it is too late to purchase it now. I will look into it but I think it is too late. Any ideas of what I can grow for them? The pack had Essex Rape, millet, mustard, turnips and winter radishes. I have everything but the Essex Rape and millet. If you can make some suggestions I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Nancy

Mine loved mustard and any leaf lettuce. They also like the weeds I pull.
You seem like a sweet chicken Mom!
Congratulations on taking the plunge! You'll love it.

Quote:
I have some seeds for Kale because I like it too so I could easily sow that.

Thanks for the ideas!

Nancy

Quote:
I guess they will be going into my beds and eating the greens that are for me. HA! I LOVE mustards and Leaf lettuce.

I LOVE all of the ideas. I really appreciate them. I will make a mix and go and sow it.

Ah, thanks! I just love chickens. Always have. I guess I was brought up a country girl in the city. My parents were immigrants and my dad raised ducks back home. He let me raise all the chickens I wanted as a child so I am not new to it. I just took a break but decided that I really want to have a flock again. I miss their antics.

Nancy

Quote:
I am in Southern California too and I am surprised you have to consider planting weeds. HA! With the rains we had and the heat, the weeds are growing everywhere. I hope the chicks will grow up fast enough to help me weed.

Nancy

Millet is birdseed.
You can plant the birdseed.

I have grown it. The wild birds will beat them to it if you don't put netting over it. They LOVE it.

You can just cut the millet off at the stalk and lay it on the ground for them. It is easy to grow. (Also you can just feed them birdseed.)

And from this website:
http://www.recipenet.org/health/articles/millet.htm
"Millet sold as bird seed has not been hulled. Unless you have a beak, buy only hulled millet for human consumption."

Last edited:
Seeds, of any kind--mine just devoured my newly seeded lawn. Seriously--anything that has leaves the grows fast will be eaten off as soon as it pops above the ground.

Back
Top Bottom