What causes a hen to get egg bound?

autumn_mi

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 21, 2009
Mt Morris, MI
It has been a long weekend and I'm wondering if anyone know what causes this? I don't want to go through this with another hen if there is anything i can do to prevent it. We have had chickens just 5 months and this is our first real problem.....

Our Bas (Black Australorp) became egg bound friday. Thanks to some great info on this board from others that have dealt with this - we were able to get the egg out and treat the prolapse. We had her in our laundry room all weekend and used prep H and honey and thought she was getting better - but tonight the prolapse was worse and she was not active at all. So we did what needed to be done .......this was the first time hubby or i have killed and processed an animal - so it has been a long evening.

Searching for a cause i heard mentioned that calcium deficiency can cause this - she had oyster shells out and laid nice hard shelled eggs - so don't think that was it. Hubby saw a few posts on egg bound chickens that mentioned they were Orphingtons - so wondering if some breads are more susceptible to it than others?

Any advice is appreciated - thanks

Back
Top Bottom