What Chicken Breeds do you Dislike & Why?

"English" Orpingtons irk me.

Why is that? The fluffiness?

Let's see, I've had a lot of breeds over the years...

- Barnevelders were gorgeous but laid really, really poorly. I've heard they lay better now, but mine did not.
- Penesencas - I had Black and Crele. The Blacks were very poor layers and flighty. The Creles were great layers, crazy/flighty, and the rooster was aggressive.
- Dominiques - All of them climbed wire with clipped wings to get out and run amok.

Out of breeds I haven't owned but don't like the look of...

- Silkies are cute I guess but I don't want to own any.
- Most tight-feathered breeds and the Oriental Games, as well as Cornish. I'm just not a fan at all.
- Ayam Cemani - the breed doesn't appeal to me at all. I have seen some in person and they are very pretty.
- Not a fan of "production" breeds in general.

And I have to say I love the Faverolles and their fifth toe. It gives them this adorable, derpy little hop/run they do. lol Nor do I mind clean feather-footed breeds. Cochins and the like kept in poor conditions bothers me because of the lack of care. But that's all breeds not just them.

Why is that? The fluffiness?

Let's see, I've had a lot of breeds over the years...

- Barnevelders were gorgeous but laid really, really poorly. I've heard they lay better now, but mine did not.
- Penesencas - I had Black and Crele. The Blacks were very poor layers and flighty. The Creles were great layers, crazy/flighty, and the rooster was aggressive.
- Dominiques - All of them climbed wire with clipped wings to get out and run amok.

Out of breeds I haven't owned but don't like the look of...

- Silkies are cute I guess but I don't want to own any.
- Most tight-feathered breeds and the Oriental Games, as well as Cornish. I'm just not a fan at all.
- Ayam Cemani - the breed doesn't appeal to me at all. I have seen some in person and they are very pretty.
- Not a fan of "production" breeds in general.

And I have to say I love the Faverolles and their fifth toe. It gives them this adorable, derpy little hop/run they do. lol Nor do I mind clean feather-footed breeds. Cochins and the like kept in poor conditions bothers me because of the lack of care. But that's all breeds not just them.
The hype that makes them "superior" to American Orpingtons and how much someone is willing to pay for them. While true that it happens with every breed, I wish Orpingtons had kept their original dual purpose form instead of becoming ornamental.

Not trying to start a debate, what makes you think that English Orpingtons are any less dual-purposed than the American Orpingtons that adhere to the APA's SOP?

Orpingtons were developed in England. So why shouldn't their Standard be a more "pure" form of Orpington, closer to the original? In my opinion, as is the case in most instances where Americans breed and impose a Standard on animals with European Standards already in place the animals drastically changes. Examples of this can be seen with zebra finches for example. English-type Zebras are large full-bodied birds that have a gentle demeanor while American-type Zebras are small and generally aggressive, not suited for mixed aviaries or even more than one pair per cage. Silkies are another example where Americans have one size, not really bantam or large fowl but somewhere in between, where both sizes are available across the pond.

I for one think that Orpingtons that adhere to the APA SOP as well as those that are show-able with Europe's Standard are equally attractive. I prefer the floofieness of the big English Orps and hope to bring some more size and floof into my line. What I do not like are the hatchery imitations of birds that when well-bred are so much more attractive.

Not trying to start a debate, what makes you think that English Orpingtons are any less dual-purposed than the American Orpingtons that adhere to the APA's SOP?

Orpingtons were developed in England. So why shouldn't their Standard be a more "pure" form of Orpington, closer to the original? In my opinion, as is the case in most instances where Americans breed and impose a Standard on animals with European Standards already in place the animals drastically changes. Examples of this can be seen with zebra finches for example. English-type Zebras are large full-bodied birds that have a gentle demeanor while American-type Zebras are small and generally aggressive, not suited for mixed aviaries or even more than one pair per cage. Silkies are another example where Americans have one size, not really bantam or large fowl but somewhere in between, where both sizes are available across the pond.

I for one think that Orpingtons that adhere to the APA SOP as well as those that are show-able with Europe's Standard are equally attractive. I prefer the floofieness of the big English Orps and hope to bring some more size and floof into my line. What I do not like are the hatchery imitations of birds that when well-bred are so much more attractive.

Agreed 100%. In reference to "dual purpose". Its the American Orpingtons that have been hybridized away from the original dual purpose origins. American Orpingtons have been bread up to be better layers and faster developing by the hatcheries. But English Orpingtons are far better meat birds and still pretty darn good layers.

10513387_10201633564156015_7204610165020314445_n.jpg

As long as they are sexy looking.

I thought of another chicken I don't like!!! Mostly because of its looks! I mean, I understand the purpose, but this poor thing just looks horrifying and horribly uncomfortable! It reminds me of how badly bred English bulldogs have gotten with their nasal passeges etc...
but that Vietnamese chicken with the giant legs, whatever its called.
Capture.JPG

I thought of another chicken I don't like!!! Mostly because of its looks! I mean, I understand the purpose, but this poor thing just looks horrifying and horribly uncomfortable! It reminds me of how badly bred English bulldogs have gotten with their nasal passeges etc...
but that Vietnamese chicken with the giant legs, whatever its called.
View attachment 1849521
Dong Tao, I believe.

Naked necks. What’s up with that?!

Those last 2 chickens I’d have thought were results of eggs gone terribly wrong.

I had red sex links for my first chickens and they were great. Predators got them before they were a year old so don’t know how they would have aged out. I have a mixed flock now and I’m good with everyone except the 4 leghorns. They cause a lot of flock issues- patrolling the boxes blocking others from laying which includes attacking others but then not using that box themselves - and now feather picking. Grr. Great eggs though. I’d give the breed another chance - maybe it’s just these 4 as they came from a distressed situation that maybe ruined them.

Back
Top Bottom