What Chicken Breeds do you Dislike & Why?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Brahma Chicken5000, Jul 17, 2019.

1. 808chickie

808chickie Chirping

Jul 27, 2017
    Waianae, HI

I had to look up the Dong Tao chicken, I've never seen it. OMG. What the heck happened to it's feet???? Poor thing lol.

2. 808chickie

808chickie Chirping

Jul 27, 2017
    Waianae, HI

I have a Welsummer (my kids named her Unicorny lol) and she is such a sweetheart. It quite surprised me that she is now my favorite. If I'm outside in the evening, she'll hop on one of the perches and coo at me until I come to pet her. She's always the first to greet me and does very well with the other chickens. She's actually much friendlier and calmer than my Orpington.

3. jlwquilter

jlwquilter Songster

Apr 30, 2019
    West Palm Beach FL
    Kabootar, ChickNanny13, Cryss and 2 others like this.
  4. 808chickie

808chickie Chirping

Jul 27, 2017
    Waianae, HI
    Oh no no no. It's a naked neck silkie. My silkie is adopted, I don't know if she's a purebreed. But, she is the densest chicken ever. She's sweet but dumb and the poor thing always gets picked on. It'll be raining out, I'll move her undercover, when I check back on her, she's back in the rain. Sheesh. My kids love her though.

5. AMERAUCANAS4REAL

AMERAUCANAS4REAL Enabler

Nov 8, 2017
    Wisconsin
    My Coop
    I suppose my Welsummers are pretty loud. I just never noticed because I have multiple roosters.

6. trainman

trainman Chirping

Jul 22, 2014
    Huntsville, AR
    I have several breeds I'm not fond of for different reasons. I think the only ones I'd even put in the dislike column are Turkens. They just look sickly to me. I find Rhode Island REds to be pretty aggressive at times so avoid them. I agree about the feather legged ones getting nasty looking too. I loved my Light Brahmas but found the roosters were just too big for my heavy breed hens and they tore them up pretty bad and actually killed 2 before we had stew. I just started a new flock with all Plymouth Rocks (Yep....I'm an old guy and use that term rather than Barred Rocks) as I find them to be pretty tame, good layers and friendly.

Kabootar, mamablair, puffypoo and 9 others like this.
  7. McBriec

McBriec Chirping

Mar 12, 2018
    After 2 murderous Wyandottes who head-pecked and feather-picked other chickens, and who tried to kill my little bantam cochin rescue rooster, I will never have another Wyandotte, no matter how beautiful they are. A breeder I spoke with said half the people say things like me, and the other half say they are a fabulous bird. I am not about to find out which half I would be getting.

twendt, Kabootar, puffypoo and 8 others like this.
  8. shawes

shawes Chirping

Nov 12, 2017
    Now I wanna know!

9. pacorona

pacorona Chirping

Sep 4, 2015

10. shawes

shawes Chirping

Nov 12, 2017
    My Silkies though!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: