What Chicken Breeds do you Dislike & Why?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Brahma Chicken5000, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Frazzemrat1

Frazzemrat1 Free Ranging

May 8, 2017
    Eastern Connecticut
    Bring it @Trish1974 !!!!!

puffypoo, ChickNanny13, Cryss and 4 others like this.
  2. Trish1974

Trish1974 Araucana enthusiast

Mar 16, 2016
    North Central IN
    My Coop
    Well, since a lot of other people mentioned them....
    Look-wise, I can't stand Polish, Silkies, Naked Necks or those creepy Showgirl-things someone posted earlier. I also don't care for the big floppy comb, scrawny look of a Leghorn (sorry Sourland and Moonshiner :oops:).
    Personality-wise: Leghorns and Rhode Island Reds. Growing up I was constantly getting flogged by RIR and WL roosters. The RIR hens weren't too bad, but my mom's leghorns were dumb and flighty.

3. noregerts

noregerts Songster

Feb 24, 2019
    Seymour TN
    Wow! That's great! I had six of those crazy kooks and couldn't get near any of them.

4. jspeese

jspeese Chirping

Apr 26, 2019
    Not crazy about turkens because I personally think they are butt ugly (apologies to anyone who has them...it's merely my opinion). Although if I ever got any in, say, a mixed breed special, I'd certainly keep them and care for them. Not crazy about any of the hybrids either, except maybe black sex-links/black stars. The red, brown, buff sex-links are bred to lay till they drop, are not really sustainable, and in my opinion and experience they pretty much burn out after 2 years, if they even live that long. I know that can vary considerably depending on the breeding lines/the hatchery but that's been my experience.

5. montanalulu

montanalulu Chirping

Aug 19, 2013
    i'm not fond of fancy, poofy looking chickens (don't know all the different breeds)....i did buy a golden wyandotte because they are beautiful birds, but she was a terrible bully and i gave her back...my americauna is my favorite, as she's smart as a whip ... i also have a welsummer, a cuckoo moran, and a speckled sussex. they all get along great and are prolific layers....sweet birds....

6. montanalulu

montanalulu Chirping

Aug 19, 2013
    yeah, i guess i didn't do my breed research when i chose a golden wyandotte for the flock.....beautiful bird, but a miserable bully.....'had to get rid of her and now my little flock is happy again....:)

Kabootar, puffypoo, Roo5 and 5 others like this.
  7. CatUT

CatUT Chirping

Jul 19, 2011
    I love my Americanas (Easter Eggs) I've getting blue and green eggs. For the most part they have been mellow in temperament and seldom get broody for me. Orpingtons are OK but I've had broody issues and I had one set that never would lay an egg. Currently I also have Jersey Giants. They have been fairly mellow and good layers. Some have gotten broody but not terrible. We also have a brama. She's a good layer and is pretty mellow.

My brother loves his sexlink hens. I found some of ours to be mellow and others to be quite mean. My other brother has mostly leghorns but they have a small farm and egg production is more important than hen temperament.

8. varidgerunner

varidgerunner Songster

Aug 16, 2013
    If it doesn't look like it is wanted for a crime, it's just sandwich fixings to me.

Attached Files:

Kabootar, BenTN, HuffleClaw and 7 others like this.
  9. jspeese

jspeese Chirping

Apr 26, 2019
    Someone mentioned death layers. I think the closest thing to them in the US would be Campines. According to Robert Hoeck, whose videos I really love on Youtube, the name is a corruption of the Low German dialect word for everyday layer. Robert also went on to say in his video that if anything deserves that name, then it would be the commercial hybrids, which (in some cases) really do lay until they drop. He isn't a big fan of them; he too prefers the heritage breeds.

Kabootar, puffypoo, Lizzy733 and 6 others like this.
  10. Love-my-girls

Love-my-girls In the Brooder

Jun 30, 2019
    I only have experience with Black Australorps and Buff Orpingtons. Love the temperament of the the Orps. Both hearty and good layers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: