What Chicken Breeds do you Dislike & Why?

Pics
Well, since a lot of other people mentioned them....
Look-wise, I can't stand Polish, Silkies, Naked Necks or those creepy Showgirl-things someone posted earlier. I also don't care for the big floppy comb, scrawny look of a Leghorn (sorry Sourland and Moonshiner :oops:).
Personality-wise: Leghorns and Rhode Island Reds. Growing up I was constantly getting flogged by RIR and WL roosters. The RIR hens weren't too bad, but my mom's leghorns were dumb and flighty.

Not crazy about turkens because I personally think they are butt ugly (apologies to anyone who has them...it's merely my opinion). Although if I ever got any in, say, a mixed breed special, I'd certainly keep them and care for them. Not crazy about any of the hybrids either, except maybe black sex-links/black stars. The red, brown, buff sex-links are bred to lay till they drop, are not really sustainable, and in my opinion and experience they pretty much burn out after 2 years, if they even live that long. I know that can vary considerably depending on the breeding lines/the hatchery but that's been my experience.

i'm not fond of fancy, poofy looking chickens (don't know all the different breeds)....i did buy a golden wyandotte because they are beautiful birds, but she was a terrible bully and i gave her back...my americauna is my favorite, as she's smart as a whip ... i also have a welsummer, a cuckoo moran, and a speckled sussex. they all get along great and are prolific layers....sweet birds....

After 2 murderous Wyandottes who head-pecked and feather-picked other chickens, and who tried to kill my little bantam cochin rescue rooster, I will never have another Wyandotte, no matter how beautiful they are. A breeder I spoke with said half the people say things like me, and the other half say they are a fabulous bird. I am not about to find out which half I would be getting.
yeah, i guess i didn't do my breed research when i chose a golden wyandotte for the flock.....beautiful bird, but a miserable bully.....'had to get rid of her and now my little flock is happy again....:)

I love my Americanas (Easter Eggs) I've getting blue and green eggs. For the most part they have been mellow in temperament and seldom get broody for me. Orpingtons are OK but I've had broody issues and I had one set that never would lay an egg. Currently I also have Jersey Giants. They have been fairly mellow and good layers. Some have gotten broody but not terrible. We also have a brama. She's a good layer and is pretty mellow.

My brother loves his sexlink hens. I found some of ours to be mellow and others to be quite mean. My other brother has mostly leghorns but they have a small farm and egg production is more important than hen temperament.

If it doesn't look like it is wanted for a crime, it's just sandwich fixings to me.

Attachments

• IMG_20190720_102646005.jpg
    IMG_20190720_102646005.jpg
    586.1 KB · Views: 66
Someone mentioned death layers. I think the closest thing to them in the US would be Campines. According to Robert Hoeck, whose videos I really love on Youtube, the name is a corruption of the Low German dialect word for everyday layer. Robert also went on to say in his video that if anything deserves that name, then it would be the commercial hybrids, which (in some cases) really do lay until they drop. He isn't a big fan of them; he too prefers the heritage breeds.

Back
Top Bottom