What Chicken Breeds do you Dislike & Why?

Pics
My least favorite chicken breed is my Ancona hen she’s just a straight up paranoid nut all of the time. I mean she’s blind in one eye so that may cause her to be paranoid all of the time and not her breed though. She also is a bully to chickens when she can see them. It seems like she’ll just peck them for fun especially when they’re on a nest and she wants only because it must be good if another hen is sitting in that nest.

yeah, i guess i didn't do my breed research when i chose a golden wyandotte for the flock.....beautiful bird, but a miserable bully.....'had to get rid of her and now my little flock is happy again....:)
I also had to get rid of my GLW... buuulllyy! My poor BuffOrp had always had a bald head and I could never figure out why... now she has a full head of hair :D... since Kathryn has been gone! :tongue
And I do not like the rose comb that the Wyandotte has :sick... also, the gross looking “things” on the Silkie roosters head :sick

I think it all depends on what you are trying to accomplish. I don't like production RIR or leghorns-just too flighty and mean. But I've got under 20 chickens and they are partly pets and I'm not ashamed of that. I grew up on farm where chickens were livestock and we had dual purpose birds -roos were slaughtered every fall. I know the realities of subsistence farming and I personally will never do meat chickens again. I used hide my head under the pillows when they would kill chickens when I was a kid and then have to come out help pluck them. Never again.

As an adult when I started back with chickens after many years of urban living, I decided I was doing what I wanted; fun breeds, sweeter personalities, eggs only, not just functional, ordinary breeds. Speckled sussex, welsummer, australorp, favarole in my mixed flock at the moment and all sweet and all but one willing to be picked up. They all get along with the silkies too. I got rid of wyndottes for being too mean. I tried Polish and some of Mediterranean breeds but they were too flightly and wild for me. I already knew I would NEVER have a leghorn.

I feel privileged to have the choice. I could buy eggs at the store but this is a hobby I enjoy and I keep what makes me smile.

I love my RIR's, Crazy, I know, but they beg like dogs, they actually "like" when my 14yr old daughter holds them and they follow me around ( kinda nosey). They are "top dogs" and can bully the others. The others are Silver Laced Wyandottes, hand raised but aloof and flightly. Totally beautiful but "bat $#it crazy". I decided I don't like SLW!!!, I have 4, I'm giving 2 away next month. I have 3 Barred Rocks who are the sweetest little pullets, love our voices and company, I can hardly wait to incorporate them with the others. We took them outside and one was sizing up the #1 RIR, it should be interesting to say the least!!

I'm iffy on the feathered feet. And the Polish - I see people comment that it's hard to tell their sex, but honestly with all that fluff in their eyes I'm unsure how THEY can tell.

I don't care for the naked neck, and that dong lo thing looked creepy. I also find the Ayam Cemani to be creepy, and I think it's gotta be harder to judge their health.

Back
Top Bottom