What Chicken Breeds do you Dislike & Why?

Pics
I think it depends on personal preference, no wrong or right. I enjoy reading all your posts. :)

I have limited experience...only 3 breeds: Buff Orpington, Dominique and two Wyandottes. My BO is the sweetest, friendliest, calmest of the bunch and quiet too. I just wish she was less broody. Has been broody twice so far this summer.

I had to rehome the Dominique - she was SO loud! She squawked continually from dawn to dusk. Honestly, she reminded me of a honking goose! I had already made arrangements for her new home when the back yard neighbor apparently had gotten tired of her noise and began throwing dog poo into my chicken run! (not friendly people and they hadn't said a word to me). So, won't be getting that breed again even though she was very friendly and a great layer. She was bold and always first to jump up on my lap. Her new "mom & dad" love her and have more acreage so her squawking doesn't bother.

The Wyandottes are OK. Not very friendly, more nervous but great layers of 5-6 eggs a week. They too are loud. Not as bad as the Dominique but still not to my liking. They are beautiful birds though and they're my girls so will keep them. Just won't get them again.

I actually like my turken. Although petting her skin is weird.
Not a fan of leg horns, rsl, bsl, rir or dong Tao chicken.
20190718_150815.jpg
20190718_150853.jpg

I wouldn't keep most of the red breeds: ISAs, RIRs, NHs...too much aggression. Leghorns are off my list too ~ yet to meet one that liked its humans. Love my Campines ~loud & flighty but full of personality & intelligence ~ & super layers. Ditto my Wyandotte, who is a real sweetie. I also have Favorelle X, BRs & a Frizzle ~ all of which I would keep again. Large, calm girls who all lay well & have melded into a calm flock. Not a fan of anything showing lots of bare skin.:sick

I only have experience with three breeds so far: Lakenvelders ended up being a problem. They were raised with my buff orps and flummoxed my attempts to tame them or the orps with their hysteria. I didn’t realize I wanted pet chickens but I guess I did. I rehome them as soon as they were coop accustomed.

The Orpingtons! Not my favorites. They don’t seem very smart. For example I put out morning food in one place for the Wyandotte’s and a second place for the Orps but they don’t get that the separate food is for them. What I do like about them is that they like to wander around and at various times in the day someone will tell me where they last encountered them.

Even though the. Orps are not favorites I’m still thinking of 3 more next Spring.

Back
Top Bottom