What Chicken Breeds do you Dislike & Why?

Pics
I have one lone leghorn out of 13 mixed flock; just love her, egg every day and no trouble with other chickens. She was introduced later.
Maybe having one is the way to go. I just separated my 4 into their own coop last night (thank goodness for that free coop I got a few weeks ago!). I’ve had enough of the stress they cause the other hens and me. I want a peaceful Flock like so many others here.

The honest bottom line for me is that I can afford to buy my eggs. I prefer to have a healthier choice. I even more prefer to enjoy my hobby.
I’m struggling with how to achieve that with out right culling healthy hens that cause issues (and lay great eggs to boot). That said I had little regret culling the very healthy rooster that was being mean to the hens.

I’m Glad For this thread. Reading that others have issues with leghorns makes me feel that it’s not necessarily something I’m doing wrong that’s causing the issues.

I’m struggling with how to achieve that with out right culling healthy hens that cause issues (and lay great eggs to boot).
Advertise them on your State Thread here on BYC, or at your local feed store. If you don't want to sell or give them away, maybe you can do a swap for pullets or hatching eggs of another breed. With your extra coop, you have the perfect quarantine or grow-out set-up. Sounds like it's time to go chicken-shopping ... there's got to be SOMEONE near you who would like four proven laying hens ....

I tried to raise some of these giant long neck silkies one time

4C4A0AE5-3B92-423D-931B-B6D64B92CB4B.jpeg

.... they were kinda mean, ate too much, and out grew the coop... never again

Someone told me they’re actually called ah’streges, but I don’t care what you call em, they were the worst chickens :rolleyes:

View attachment 1855135

Someone told me they’re actually called ah’streges, but I don’t care what you call em, they were the worst chickens :rolleyes:
:love Okay, they are just too cute! :love

Ye

View attachment 1855135

Ah ... but I bet you could make one heckuvan omelet! And those drumsticks must've been giNORmous! Then again, when my tiny bantams go broody, they can be vicious. Those ah'streges would pack quite a punch guarding a nest, so, No, I don't think I like that particular breed of chicken, either ...

Back
Top Bottom