What Chicken Breeds do you Dislike & Why?

Pics
@Brahma Chicken5000 Great ides with this this thread ... Insight to other breeds when thinking "what next". I have raised (chicks to 8wks) a variety but have only kept a few breeds, Orpingtongs, Wyandottes, RIR and EE. The RIR was Hubby's choice, he learned to let me pick the breeds. The BLRW were his favorites, Orpintons are mine. Like @BeckyB. I only keep 4 - 6 pullets at at time, living in a residential zoned neighborhood like to keep a low profile. So quiet, friendly & eggs. EEs were fun but a bit too flighty, even with a fenced yard the neighbor's dogs are a concern.

Guess it's not the breed but my preference in looks and personality of a breed, but I've learned (as in people) each chicken has their own personality aside from what their breed characteristics. I'm in-between right now, have yet to decide what I want to raise next.

Oh I like that very much, I may start using that term lol. My gramma was from Murphy NC and she called her bantams "bannies" and for years I thought her chicken stories were about bunnies.
The same grandfather used that term as well. He actually gave me my first "bannie" hen with 12 diddles when I was about 5 years old. A year later, I had more than 80. I would get up at the crack of dawn to watch them fly off the roost from the trees behind our house.

Not a fan of frizzles, naked necks or any combination thereof. I just don't like their looks.

Not big on leghorns. They've always spook fast and the only ones you can find here are white which is about instant death to hawks in the fall.

Don't like silkies or polish for their lack of livability, but under tighter less predated circumstances I might oblige them.

I love black australorps but I wish they didn't just sit their sweet dumpy butts on the ground and not move when the coons and hawks come around. I swear a dog could pick one up and walk away with one in it's jaws and they wouldn't even budge. They're always the first to go which is heartbreaking cause I love em and they really are sweethearts (but that is, of course, the problem).

Not liking anything bantam either, too small for eggs, too small for meat... Maybe a nice house pet?

I'm very fond of all the strange birds over in Indonesia though that nobody else likes. Those thick legs are fantastic and the laughing chickens, the black chickens, the giant ones, etc... I'd own them all if I could. But of course getting chickens from Indonesia to America is all but impossible right now (it'd be like a 4 step 10 year process or something).

Someone mentioned death layers. I think the closest thing to them in the US would be Campines. According to Robert Hoeck, whose videos I really love on Youtube, the name is a corruption of the Low German dialect word for everyday layer. Robert also went on to say in his video that if anything deserves that name, then it would be the commercial hybrids, which (in some cases) really do lay until they drop. He isn't a big fan of them; he too prefers the heritage breeds.
Deathlayer comes from the German word Totleger which, literarlly translated, means 'dead layer' so if we're going to be grammatically correct here the translation of Deathlayer is most correct.

I cant beleive no one has mentioned the ISA browns as a great choice yet. I also have a few Barred Rocks. 2 are great and the other 2 are wicked.

Back
Top Bottom