what chicken is laying?

Turbo, we are in the same boat. I have 6 hens and get 3 eggs a day. I know when the leghorn lays as her eggs are white, and I have seen one of my BRs in the next box and leaving behind an egg. Other than that, I have no idea who the other layers are. All 6 combs and wattles are bright red too.

My EE started laying at 23 weeks. The chickens are now 27 weeks and the Brahma and Cochin still aren't laying.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/734785/has-anyone-heard-of-putting-food-coloring-in-a-hens-vent

We have done this with success. - very helpful. they are calmer at night, easier to handle. We have a flashlight you can wear on your head, used that to keep my hands free, and recorded which chicken had which color (also have leg bands so it is easy to identify duplicate birds). We've also done venting first thing in the morning (before anyone has laid...) then use the time to do a quick health check (body weight, combs, wattles, check feathers/legs for mites). get it all done in one fell swoop - that is my motto!

good luck!
thumbsup.gif

Would the food coloring come off with the poop and maybe not show up on the eggs?

Wow I never would have thought about "dying" the eggs with food colouring in the vent. I have 4 hens but never gotten 4 eggs in a day. I am suspicous that one of mine does not lay. I think I might try this to figure out who lays what. Great suggestion.

Would the food coloring come off with the poop and maybe not show up on the eggs?

the coloring will mark their poop as well, but we still saw light smears (not rings) on the respective eggs. As already mentioned, blue, green and purple show up the best. since my birds lay in the late morning, I prefer to mark them first thing when I feed. We had better results with that timing then we did with the night-time. The pooping factor would be one reason to use the thicker coloring paste - and i can see why lipstick would be useful
gig.gif

just my humble opinion...

the coloring will mark their poop as well, but we still saw light smears (not rings) on the respective eggs. As already mentioned, blue, green and purple show up the best. since my birds lay in the late morning, I prefer to mark them first thing when I feed. We had better results with that timing then we did with the night-time. The pooping factor would be one reason to use the thicker coloring paste - and i can see why lipstick would be useful
gig.gif

just my humble opinion...

I suppose I should point out that I used the liquid coloring - had the birds practically upside down, placed the tip into the vent and gave a hefty squirt.

If you were going to do that wouldn't something natural like beet, blackberry or blueberry juice be safer? Also, a little diluted vinegar wouldn't be the end of the world. Think Masssengill ladies...? :)

Back
Top Bottom