What color egg does your MCMURRAY "Americana" lay??? pics??

keeko

Songster
10 Years
Dec 22, 2009
Asheville, NC
Hello all!
So I know it's "Ameraucana" and "Araucana" - but McMurray hatchery spells it "Americana". I bought three of them this spring, and have no clue what color eggs they'll lay.

Do you have Murray McMurray "Americanas" and if so, what color eggs do they lay??

I'd love to see pics if you have them (either of the hen, the egg, or BOTH!)

Thanks guys!!

Mine always layed an olive green colored egg, probably because they are crossed with a brown egger at some point, but the olive eggs sure are pretty!
smile.png

I can't say from experience but from my reading you can tell the egg color by the color of the ear/lobes? I doubt that was much help lol. But, I do remember reading that.

Quote:
It's true, white lobes = white eggs, red ones are usually brown, speckled, or easter eggs. Of course there's always going to be exceptions, especially in crossed breed hens, they'll fool you sometimes!
tongue.png

Hmm, I've read that too. But I wonder what color earlobes a hen has who definitely lays blue eggs has? I've heard you can maybe tell by the color of their legs as well...that gray or slate colored legs means blue eggs... I don't know if that's true, but I read that somewhere too!

And I'm curious about McMurray birds in particular, because I'm wondering if some don't lay colored eggs at all, and what other peoples' experience has been. My birds are fairly young, we got them early spring, and the Rhode Islands are just starting to lay (at least one is!).

I would LOVE olive eggs if that's what popped out!

The McMurray website says their breeding stock is specific to blue and green eggs... and they sort of seem to guarantee colored eggs from their "Americanas"... anyone have an Ameraucana of theirs that DOESN'T lay colored eggs??

I got some chicks from there to a year ago. I have 2 hens and a rooster. They lay a green white color. Some lay a light blue and one of mine lays a dark green. They are great and friendly birds.
thumbsup.gif

We've had Murray's stock in past years, and we had them to lay green eggs, olive eggs and brown eggs. All depends on the cross.
Murray staes in their description of "Americanas" that they cross Ameraucana's to American chickens. I really don't think the leg thing has alot to do with the egg color, I've seen different leg colors on EE's and they lay all colors of shells (only one color per hen they never change the color of shell).

Back
Top Bottom