What color hen should I breed my Isobel Araucana rooster to?

Midara

In the Brooder
Nov 28, 2021
I have an Araucana Rooster which I think is an Isobel. He is lavender with light gold / straw color on his back.
If I want this color pattern to show in future generations (without using an isobel hen), would it be best to breed him to a Lavender Ara hen or a reddish Ara hen? Or something else?

Can anyone explain the genetics of Isobel
Such as what reddish color is being diluted to make the straw color appear lighter?
And what genes does he have on the E locus? Is it duckwing or something else?
I want to plug his genes into the chicken calculator here http://kippenjungle.nl/chickencalculator.html but I don't know what every single one of his genes is.

Attachments

• IsobelAraRooster.jpg
    IsobelAraRooster.jpg
    326.8 KB · Views: 39
If I want this color pattern to show in future generations (without using an isobel hen), would it be best to breed him to a Lavender Ara hen or a reddish Ara hen? Or something else?
If you breed him to a Lavender Araucana (lavender all over), all chicks should be lavender. They will have the lavender dilution, but with a black base color (E locus: E for Extended black.) They will carry whatever gene he's got at the e locus.

If you breed him to a hen with the same color pattern but without the lavender gene, all chicks will be the non-diluted color but carry the lavender gene.

In either case, you will not get chicks that look like your rooster. But either way, you could keep some daughters and breed them back to him, and that generation should produce some chicks that have the same color as your current rooster.

Can anyone explain the genetics of Isobel
Such as what reddish color is being diluted to make the straw color appear lighter?
I know that the lavender gene dilutes black to a gray shade, and red/gold shades to yellow or straw color, but I don't know it in any more detail than that.

And what genes does he have on the E locus? Is it duckwing or something else?
I owuld guess duckwing (e+), but I'm not entirely sure.

@nicalandia what e-locus and other genes do you think OP's rooster has? (Lavender is obviously present, but beyond that I'm not really sure.)

I want to plug his genes into the chicken calculator here http://kippenjungle.nl/chickencalculator.html but I don't know what every single one of his genes is.
You could try e+/e+ and lav/lav to see what you get, with everything else set to the wild-type defaults (all the wild-type genes have + at the end of them, so they're easy to recognize.) That may not be entirely accurate, but it would at least give you a place to start.

Back
Top Bottom