What color is my hen

Humboldthen

In the Brooder
May 19, 2021
I can’t find the thread, so although redundant here it goes.
I think this EE hen is red ground based barred and dun. She has tan patterning on darker tan feathers. Her tail is fairly blue looking though. Some of her chicks look like they are the same coloring (only six weeks old at this point) so that’s why lavender seems unlikely. The roos have all been BYM, however, so who knows.

Attachments

• 45C773B6-EEF5-44F3-B1FC-330DF3D4D9FF.jpeg
    45C773B6-EEF5-44F3-B1FC-330DF3D4D9FF.jpeg
    533.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 2EC94928-582E-4183-98D6-B399A1A0580C.jpeg
    2EC94928-582E-4183-98D6-B399A1A0580C.jpeg
    602.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 3398CB2D-173B-4103-ABB0-049DFBF81829.jpeg
    3398CB2D-173B-4103-ABB0-049DFBF81829.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
I had an EE named Lupin that was very similar to that. The EEs have lots of colors and color patterns making no bird the same. An EE of the same flock as Lupin was a Blue Wheaten, so I called Lupine a Blue Wheaten, too. The Blue Wheaten was very similar in color, and markings, but I don't think that they are the same. I'd love to know if there is an actual name for that color mixture, so I think that I'll follow this thread. :)

I had an EE named Lupin that was very similar to that. The EEs have lots of colors and color patterns making no bird the same. An EE of the same flock as Lupin was a Blue Wheaten, so I called Lupine a Blue Wheaten, too. The Blue Wheaten was very similar in color, and markings, but I don't think that they are the same. I'd love to know if there is an actual name for that color mixture, so I think that I'll follow this thread. :)
Lol. The EEs are my starter/learning flock. Getting color names correct seems to be an achievable goal (right?); thanks for responding because wheaten didn’t occur to me. Patterns are easier: such as sooty moss partial Colombian and jagged line penciling.

Lol. The EEs are my starter/learning flock. Getting color names correct seems to be an achievable goal (right?); thanks for responding because wheaten didn’t occur to me. Patterns are easier: such as sooty moss partial Colombian and jagged line penciling.
EEs, in my personal opinion, is some of the best backyard chickens out there! It's so cool that you can have them as your starter/learning flock. I had some EEs in my first flock too! I think that they are achievable... There's so many color patterns that it's hard. You sure know a lot, though! Sooty Moss, I've never heard of that before. It sounds like it's a color variant of a pigeon or something. Colombian and Pencilling, I'm familiar with, but not really Jagged Line. I've learned a lot of my color names from my book Storey's Illustrated Guide to Poultry Breeds. It's been awhile since I've read that, so maybe I'm a little rusty on the colors? As far as Wheaten, I learned that color before I got that book. I was given a handsome de-crowed Blue Wheaten Ameruacana, and that's how I learned that color.

EEs, in my personal opinion, is some of the best backyard chickens out there! It's so cool that you can have them as your starter/learning flock. I had some EEs in my first flock too! I think that they are achievable... There's so many color patterns that it's hard. You sure know a lot, though! Sooty Moss, I've never heard of that before. It sounds like it's a color variant of a pigeon or something. Colombian and Pencilling, I'm familiar with, but not really Jagged Line. I've learned a lot of my color names from my book Storey's Illustrated Guide to Poultry Breeds. It's been awhile since I've read that, so maybe I'm a little rusty on the colors? As far as Wheaten, I learned that color before I got that book. I was given a handsome de-crowed Blue Wheaten Ameruacana, and that's how I learned that color.
My EEs are pretty good hens! When I look around to try and figure out what colors they are after the basic red and black ground is modified the examples are usually gorgeous perfection. I’m trying to get chickens that do well at my place with the least amount of intervention so Indistinct muddled patterning is not a problem but i was making fun of it. Sooty mossy is just a hen with loads of fine speckling and no patterns. Jagged penciling is a hen with double penciling but the lines are a little difficult to see because they’re dispersed. Another hen I describe as spangled half lacing (has an Art Deco style) Her fluff is chocolate colored but otherwise she’s gold, brown and black. Some chicks have had chocolate down so I assume they are hers but I haven’t kept good enough records. Anyway, I don’t think she is true “chocolate”. What perplexed me about the hen I posted is that her tail looks like black diluted to blue, her body looks like black diluted to cream, and her hackles look like black diluted to brown. Her cheek puffs are diluted to brown. I borrowed a rooster who looks like a red Pyle but his breast is red lacing on a white ground. With the chicken calculator he turns out to be more like a gold patterned white duckwing if I remember correctly. Then I finally read the post that said there can be several genotypes for one phenotype. Anyway, mutts with mutts, it’s a great intro to chickens.

My EEs are pretty good hens! When I look around to try and figure out what colors they are after the basic red and black ground is modified the examples are usually gorgeous perfection. I’m trying to get chickens that do well at my place with the least amount of intervention so Indistinct muddled patterning is not a problem but i was making fun of it. Sooty mossy is just a hen with loads of fine speckling and no patterns. Jagged penciling is a hen with double penciling but the lines are a little difficult to see because they’re dispersed. Another hen I describe as spangled half lacing (has an Art Deco style) Her fluff is chocolate colored but otherwise she’s gold, brown and black. Some chicks have had chocolate down so I assume they are hers but I haven’t kept good enough records. Anyway, I don’t think she is true “chocolate”. What perplexed me about the hen I posted is that her tail looks like black diluted to blue, her body looks like black diluted to cream, and her hackles look like black diluted to brown. Her cheek puffs are diluted to brown. I borrowed a rooster who looks like a red Pyle but his breast is red lacing on a white ground. With the chicken calculator he turns out to be more like a gold patterned white duckwing if I remember correctly. Then I finally read the post that said there can be several genotypes for one phenotype. Anyway, mutts with mutts, it’s a great intro to chickens.
The best I could do was that she is heterozygous for dun but that doesn’t explain her tail being grey, I think, maybe it does. Maybe her patterning is brown, not black, if that is possible.

The best I could do was that she is heterozygous for dun but that doesn’t explain her tail being grey, I think, maybe it does. Maybe her patterning is brown, not black, if that is possible.
She looks like she has two different dilution genes in action and that would be so unusual that I think there is a simple answer that has eluded me.

I can’t find the thread, so although redundant here it goes.
I think this EE hen is red ground based barred and dun. She has tan patterning on darker tan feathers. Her tail is fairly blue looking though. Some of her chicks look like they are the same coloring (only six weeks old at this point) so that’s why lavender seems unlikely. The roos have all been BYM, however, so who knows.
She is neither dun or barred. She has the gold gene and the blue dilution gene. Her pattern looks like a mixed partridge.

Back
Top Bottom