What color is this girl?

PittyLova

Songster
Dec 29, 2017
Northern, NH
I just picked up 3 new turkeys as friends for our BBB girl. One chocolate tom (yay sex linking), a silver tipped black girl, and this one. I'm new to turkeys other than our BBB and can't decide what color this is. I was hoping to get some help!

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1546378578182.jpg
    FB_IMG_1546378578182.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 30
Thanks! I'm quite fond of her! I wanted different colors to add some interest. And luckily the 2 girls we got seemed to be the friendliest of the bunch.

I thought she was sweetgrass at first, but I'm not so sure now.

I just picked up 3 new turkeys as friends for our BBB girl. One chocolate tom (yay sex linking), a silver tipped black girl, and this one. I'm new to turkeys other than our BBB and can't decide what color this is. I was hoping to get some help!
It is either a Sweetgrass or a Calico. Sweetgrass will breed true but Calico's won't because they have a single red (r) gene. Sweetgrass come in a variety of shades with some being darker and some having more white but they are still all Sweetgrass.

It is either a Sweetgrass or a Calico. Sweetgrass will breed true but Calico's won't because they have a single red (r) gene. Sweetgrass come in a variety of shades with some being darker and some having more white but they are still all Sweetgrass.
Thank you! That's what I was thinking, one or the other. They had a big mix of turkeys all together so either is possible. I want sure if sweetgrass and calico could be told apart just by looks. I only have a chocolate tom right now so I may never know unless I add another boy. Not sure that's wise with only 3 hens ‍♀️

I plan on eating most of the offspring so it doesnt matter if they're mixed to me. We just like the pretty colors.

Thank you! That's what I was thinking, one or the other. They had a big mix of turkeys all together so either is possible. I want sure if sweetgrass and calico could be told apart just by looks. I only have a chocolate tom right now so I may never know unless I add another boy. Not sure that's wise with only 3 hens ‍♀️

I plan on eating most of the offspring so it doesnt matter if they're mixed to me. We just like the pretty colors.
If your Chocolate tom is not carrying any hidden recessive color genes and if she is a Sweetgrass that is not carrying any hidden recessive color genes, the resulting offspring should be sexable at the hatch.

The males will be Tri-Color Mottled Black and will look like black poults while the females will be Semi-Chocolate Semi-Color Semi-Gray and should look similar to Chocolate poults. The males will be black and the females should look brown. I may be wrong about what the females will actually look like but they won't be black like the males.

If she is a Calico, the males will be Tri-Color Mottled Blacks or Rusty Black Semi-Gray Semi and the females will be Semi-Chocolate Semi-Color Semi-Gray or Rusty Black Color Semi-Gray Brown Semi-.

Depending on whether you get two sex linked colors for the poults or you get four different colored poults will tell you whether she is a Sweetgrass or a Calico.
Good luck

Back
Top Bottom