What color is this hen?

CORNISH_MAN

Songster
9 Years
Mar 24, 2010
CALVARY,KY
Just picked up this hen but im not sure what color she is. I was thinking purple but Im not quite sure. She looks a little different than the other purple hens Ive had. Here are a few photo's, the last one is her next to an India blue hen. Maybe shes just a light colored IB? What do you guys think? I bet deerman will know.

No idea on the color but it's a lovely bird
love.gif

Yep I agree with her being IB white eyed. How much white a hen has varies quite a bit, from none like her to a "chessboard" of silvery grey and white feathers.

The amount or placement of white feathers can change over the years. It's especially noticeable with yearling hens as they fully mature- some are born with little or no white then have hundreds at 4 yrs. The reverse also happens... a "chessboard" yearling can become rather solid colored at maturity.

Much more reliable are the sugar-frosted look(when she moves around you may notice a whitish cast to the feathers) with or without a greyish color on the peahen's bodies. These are more consistent than white feathers.

yes the frosted look....or grey cast........is what show its a IB White eye.....purple hens will be more rust brown, like a cameo except cameo hen will not have the green or colored feathers in the neck

yes the frosted look....or grey cast........is what show its a IB White eye.....purple hens will be more rust brown, like a cameo except cameo hen will not have the green or colored feathers in the neck
Ooh okay that makes since! I just thought she looked strange because her neck feathers looked more purple/blue, but I guess that is just a variation.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom