What color is this Orp?

Quote:
She looks more like a wyandotte mix. That comb is not a single comb. I agree with Illa's first suggestion.

She's beautiful though!

The first few pics make it look like the comb isnt SC but the last pic looks like it is. Also Black can carry the lacing gene and buff has other hidden genes that could be expressed from the cross

Last edited:
She is pure Orpington and she does have a single comb. I'll check her feet this evening but I'm 99% sure they are blue on the bottom. I hatched her from eggs I bought on here. Here's the link with pictures and details of what birds were in the pen.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=445989

She said this is what was in the pen... "1 Isabel F1 roo, 6 Isabel F1 hens (I put 5 by accident in the original post), 2 Lavender roos, 6 Lavender hens, 2 Split roos, 3 Split hens, 2 Splash hens, 1 Splash roo, 1 Blue hen. That being said, there is a minute possibility the offspring might NOT carry Lavender, but because the Alpha roo is a Lavender and is VERY territorial and in-charge, it's very unlikely. The other Lav roo is Beta. The others are big chickens....literally and figuratively."

So with knowing this, and looking at her, what would be the best guess genetics wise? Any info is much appreciated!
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
She has one that looks just like yours in one of her pictures. Does she (the seller) know what this is?

I haven't asked her. lol. I posted some pics of my birds in another thread and someone mentioned she looked dun based. Which led me to post the question on a whim last night. I'll send her a message but I'm still curious as to the opinions of those who are into genetics.
smile.png

The two shown in that photo are what you get when you cross Black, Lavender, or Blue with Buff, Gold Laced, Partridge, Junilee or related colors.

Your hen is basically a silver version of such, which can come from crossing Blue x Buff, Partridge, Gold Laced, etc etc. Blue often carries silver.

Quote:
Those hens that are similar to mine, I think she said started with a black roo over a buff hen and out popped lacing, well incomplete lacing anyways. So I'm sure this girl is out of one of her laced project birds, but why I'm so curious about the color is it looks brown.. even the real dark color still doesn't look quite black.

Doubt it is actually lacing, genetically. Buff x Black in any breed will do that; I don't think it has to do with lacing though, - Same happens when you cross almost any Columbian type (red, orange, light, etc) with black, you get residual mock-double lacing and "partridge" effects; it's just leakage.

I've never heard of Buffs carrying lacing.

Back
Top Bottom