What Color Might They Be?

3KillerBs

Addict
14 Years
Jul 10, 2009
North Carolina Sandhills
My Coop
My Coop
I got the last two Whiting True Blues from the feed store today. Stripey chipmunk chicks, one lighter, one darker.

Any clue what color/pattern they might grow up to be?

(The blue and splash chicks are Cochins. I didn't want to raise just two chicks just in case).

IMG_20230615_090125349.jpg
IMG_20230615_090142613.jpg
IMG_20230615_090154585.jpg
IMG_20230615_090220130.jpg
IMG_20230615_090221531.jpg
IMG_20230615_094524927.jpg
IMG_20230615_094621829.jpg
IMG_20230615_094617530.jpg

They're gonna be gorgeous! All of my WTBs were chipmunk striped, and they all turned out completely different. I'll have to get some pics to post.

Had there been a selection, I'd have chosen stripey chicks in hope of being able to easily tell them apart from my BBS chicks. :D

I don't really *like* red chickens, but I will take anything for the blue eggs.

We hatched out a bunch of Whitings a couple of years back.

If you go to this page: https://www.dragonflyfarmnc.com/whiting-true-blue

The lighter chipmunk could look like the hen in picture #4 (top row, left to right), and the darker chipmunk could look like the hen in picture #8 (immediately below).

There are lots of exceptions, but for this variety the chipmunk chicks often turn out to be the quail/partridge (wild type) pattern.

Agree with the comment above that they're going to be pretty! Plus, at least the strain of Whiting we had were blue egg machines- not as dark as traditional EEs, but way better volume.

We hatched out a bunch of Whitings a couple of years back.

If you go to this page: https://www.dragonflyfarmnc.com/whiting-true-blue

The lighter chipmunk could look like the hen in picture #4 (top row, left to right), and the darker chipmunk could look like the hen in picture #8 (immediately below).

There are lots of exceptions, but for this variety the chipmunk chicks often turn out to be the quail/partridge (wild type) pattern.

Agree with the comment above that they're going to be pretty! Plus, at least the strain of Whiting we had were blue egg machines- not as dark as traditional EEs, but way better volume.
How long do they lay? What is their personality like?

I've had mine a little over 3yrs, she was flighty, but not super bad, and after she started laying she calmed way down. She's a super friendly chill lady, that is still my top layer, her longest steak for this year is 31 days straight April 6th to May 6th.

I've had mine a little over 3yrs, she was flighty, but not super bad, and after she started laying she calmed way down. She's a super friendly chill lady, that is still my top layer, her longest steak for this year is 31 days straight April 6th to May 6th.

That's the kind of performance I'm hoping for from these girls.

I'm hoping for something comparable to my California Whites.

I cycled mine out at about 2.5 years (after their first molt)... they were laying 5+ eggs per week at 2 years except one who layed jumbo eggs about 3 times a week- seriously huge blue eggs!

About half were indifferent- not super flighty or friendly- and about half were like leghorns. Easily spooked, didn't really like strangers coming up to the run, ducking for cover when crows fly overhead.

That said I would recommend them as a production breed if you're looking to make your fresh eggs colorful for market or just yourself! Didn't have any roosters so no insights into their temperament.

Back
Top Bottom