What color would you say this Frizzle is?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Queen of the chickens, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Queen of the chickens

Queen of the chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    Unionville, MO
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I thought Buff, but is it normal for there to be that much white? What about the small amounts of back? It's only 3 weeks old so maybe I am jumping the gun. Love to hear what you think. . .

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Looks like a wheaten female. That or maybe a wheaten w/columbian or something. . . Not a buff though.

3. Queen of the chickens

Oct 7, 2011
    Unionville, MO
    Oh yeah I forgot about that color. I have several wheaten EEs. Is wheaten an accepted color for Cochins?

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    It looks like my smooth feathered red Cochins :)

5. mycutekitties

mycutekitties Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2009
    Modesto, California
    What a cute bird!

6. Queen of the chickens

Oct 7, 2011
    Unionville, MO
    [​IMG]

I am pretty sure this one is a red frizzle. The color is much more intense and consistent than the one above.

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Unless you got or hatched these as Cochins, not frizzles, there's no gaurantee they're purebred or showable. But, no, Wheaten is not an accepted color.

8. Queen of the chickens

Oct 7, 2011
    Unionville, MO
    Oh, I know. They came in a "feather footed bantam" assortment from Ideal. That hatchery offers three colors of Frizzle Cochin for sale on their site: Red, Black and White. However, my Silver Penciled is a Frizzle and so is this one so the gene has been introduced into other colors some where. It was apparent to me with in a couple of days that several were frizzle, but I wonder if the hatchery can tell from day one and sell the "odd balls" in these assortments.

Either way, I'm happy to have the little buggers. Variety is the spice of life. I'm not too concerned about showing them. My son shows in 4-H, however we have others that we are breeding/raising for that purpose. I was just curious and having trouble finding the list of 18 (or is it 15) accepted Cochin colors anywhere. I finally found it in some older posts. Love learning something new every day.

9. Mr. Ree

Mr. Ree Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    South Central, KY
    The Cochins International website has a list of accepted varieties.

cochinsint.com

~Casey

10. Queen of the chickens

Oct 7, 2011
    Unionville, MO
    Thank You! I will be checking out that site.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by