What colour morph is this button quail chick?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by MageofMist, May 31, 2017.

1. MageofMist

MageofMist Songster

Dec 9, 2016
    Britain
    Cinnamon maybe.png
    It is too dark to be a white with a more reddish hue compared to the sweetcorn-like white ones I hatched before, and it isn't pale enough to be a silver and it has red lines down it's back... My guess is maybe a cinnamon which makes me wonder how many crazy colour genes Rex and Speckles, the parents, have but don't express.
    :eek:
    I have had... Whites, A Silver, Red Breasted (Mother morph) And Blue Faced (Father Morph), though the majority that hatched this batch she incubated were red breasted and blue faced, with one mystery/possibly cinnamon chick. I am curious what other crazy colours may pop out of an egg from these guys. :p

I put the baby back in the cage after the short photo shoot and it buried itself under it's mum at first, then ran out to eat it's food (the sand-like stuff) with it's siblings.

2. DK newbie

DK newbie Songster

Apr 20, 2015
    I agree it's probably cinnamon. Does seem like your birds carry a lot of mutations :)

3. tk10

tk10 Songster

Apr 12, 2017
    WI
    You put the babies back in with the parents? I didn't know we can do that!

MageofMist likes this.
  4. MageofMist

MageofMist Songster

Dec 9, 2016
    Britain
    Yup. I only had the baby out for a minute at most, and mama Speckles is a really good mother. It took her 3 times to successfully incubate eggs, but my god, I bet she could take on a LION and win! :lau When I put the little cinnamon back in, she charged my hand while doing the warning calls to tell the babies to hide, and little cinnamon vanished under the 'umbrella' quail. She hasn't been treating it any different to the other chicks and is JUST as protective of the little one.

5. tk10

tk10 Songster

Apr 12, 2017
    WI
    Oh, I see! Mine won't brood so I thought you took them from the incubator and put with Mom. Button quail were my gateway poultry lol I've had 2 individual eggs hatch from the incubator, at separate times, but neither brooded well alone. Now I've got a few chickens, ducks, and geese.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: