What comb is this?

Looks like a walnut comb (combination of rose and pea comb).
Or a possible cushion? It has the same combo for walnut since it's just a different type of walnut.
20210609_092147.jpg

The thing is, I hatched three Wyandotte eggs, and I only have two chicks with that kind of comb, all the others have pea combs. Both my Wyandotte hens have rose combs, though one is more lumpy and bigger than the other one.

Or a possible cushion? It has the same combo for walnut since it's just a different type of walnut.
View attachment 2716385
As you said, a cushion comb is a type of walnut comb, so I’d rather just stick with the more general answer of walnut. Cushions also require an extra gene (I believe it’s called “smooth”) and I don’t know where that would come from.
The thing is, I hatched three Wyandotte eggs, and I only have two chicks with that kind of comb, all the others have pea combs. Both my Wyandotte hens have rose combs, though one is more lumpy and bigger than the other one.
It’s likely one or more of your wyandottes is heterozygous for the rose comb gene, meaning they have both a single comb gene and rose comb gene, so they can pass both on to their offspring. However, pea comb is dominant over single, so the remaining wyandotte cross might have a pea comb like the rest of them.
I unfortunately don't have them any more, they got picked off by coyotes, I have one of the rose combed one but not the other two.View attachment 2716681
Did the ones with pea combs have feathered legs?

As you said, a cushion comb is a type of walnut comb, so I’d rather just stick with the more general answer of walnut. Cushions also require an extra gene (I believe it’s called “smooth”) and I don’t know where that would come from.

It’s likely one or more of your wyandottes is heterozygous for the rose comb gene, meaning they have both a single comb gene and rose comb gene, so they can pass both on to their offspring. However, pea comb is dominant over single, so the remaining wyandotte cross might have a pea comb like the rest of them.

I think the Smooth gene is a mutation in the Pea comb. I believe it's found with Rose comb too.
20210106_143233.jpg
1115191553.jpg

Nope, bald as a bowling ball. They were standard in everything else but the comb. I've heard sometimes hatcheries throw straight comb birds in the breeder flocks to help with fertility, I figured it was a very, very washed out straight comb that looked like a pea comb.

Nope, bald as a bowling ball. They were standard in everything else but the comb. I've heard sometimes hatcheries throw straight comb birds in the breeder flocks to help with fertility, I figured it was a very, very washed out straight comb that looked like a pea comb.
Huh, strange. A single comb makes a lot more sense than a pea comb, but it would have to be a pretty weird single to look so much like a pea.

Back
Top Bottom