What could be wrong with my Orpington - big "butt bump"?

tcfoster

Songster
May 21, 2018
Murphys, CA (Sierra Nevada foothills)
Over the last month or so, my black laced Orp has developed a sort of tumor looking growth below her vent. It literally looks like she has a billiard ball hanging from her butt. She is molting now - but that started recently and she had the "bump" before that - but she acts totally normal, eats, drinks, dust bathes, etc. At first I thought she was egg-bound but she is laying just fine. Has anyone seen something like this? Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_6665.JPG
    IMG_6665.JPG
    961.9 KB · Views: 74
Untitled.jpg
What does it feel like - fluid filled, hard, soft/squishy?

She may have some fluid in there. Excess fat, tumors, cancer and internal laying can also cause a fullness in the abdomen.

Since she is eating/drinking, laying eggs and is acting normal, I would just keep a close watch on her. Take note of the area underneath - it looks like she may be developing a sore spot - that would need tending. Also the bottom of one foot, is that just dirt or does she have a scab which would indicate Bumblefoot.

Last edited:
Hello, sorry to hear of your chicken woes! I recently read a forum that sounds very similar to yours. It COULD be one of two things a fluid filled cyst which can apparently be drained fairly easily with a needle and syringe. You, or a vet could drain the cyst. I also read quite a bit about hernias. If nothing comes out from trying to drain it, it could possibly be a hernia in which case there really isn't much you can do. And, from what I read hernias are fatal in chickens. I guess you could take her to a vet, they may suggest possible treatments...sorry.

I hope this turns out to be nothing and all is well with your Black Laced Orp! Please keep us updated! Take care, God bless!

In a larger flock you may notice a chicken that looks that way. As Wyorp Rock said, the enlarged lower belly can be from a number of possible reasons. It doesn’t always mean that they are in danger of dying right away, but they may have a common condition that many laying hens can suffer.

Over the years, I have had a few of the big bulbous bottoms in hens. Several were large hens, such as Marans or australorps. Most lived for a few years without treatment, and some stopped laying. I tend to be more hands off when it comes to doing invasive treatments, and do not seek vet treatment.

If the hen starts to really slow down or appear to suffer or be attacked by her flock as chickens will do when one is sick or injured, then I put them down. After they died, I have performed a few necropsies, just to see if it looked like internal laying, ascites or fluid in the belly, egg yolk peritonitis, or cancer. All of those have been seen. Interestingly, I have seen ascites in hens who were not full and enlarged in the belly. I hope this helps, and here is some reading about conditions that can cause some of those problems:
http://www.theveterinaryexpert.com/backyard-poultry/egg-yolk-peritonitis/
https://wagwalking.com/bird/condition/egg-yolk-peritonitis

View attachment 1478442 What does it feel like - fluid filled, hard, soft/squishy?

She may have some fluid in there. Excess fat, tumors, cancer and internal laying can also cause a fullness in the abdomen.

Since she is eating/drinking, laying eggs and is acting normal, I would just keep a close watch on her. Take note of the area underneath - it looks like she may be developing a sore spot - that would need tending. Also the bottom of one foot, is that just dirt or does she have a scab which would indicate Bumblefoot.
Thanks for your respone. I will look closer today at her feet and at the lump. It feels soft and squishy.

View attachment 1478442 What does it feel like - fluid filled, hard, soft/squishy?

Sorry I didn't write you back yesterday. I looked closely at Hedwig today, the area underneath looks just like a dirt/molting mark, not so much a scab. However I took a look and one of her feet I'm afraid does look like bumblefoot. I'm attaching a photo. I have an appointment at the vet tomorrow to see if the lump is something that can be drained. Thanks again!

Attachments

• IMG_3861.JPG
    IMG_3861.JPG
    321.2 KB · Views: 37
Hello, sorry to hear of your chicken woes! I recently read a forum that sounds very similar to yours. It COULD be one of two things a fluid filled cyst which can apparently be drained fairly easily with a needle and syringe. You, or a vet could drain the cyst. I also read quite a bit about hernias. If nothing comes out from trying to drain it, it could possibly be a hernia in which case there really isn't much you can do. And, from what I read hernias are fatal in chickens. I guess you could take her to a vet, they may suggest possible treatments...sorry.

I hope this turns out to be nothing and all is well with your Black Laced Orp! Please keep us updated! Take care, God bless!
Thanks for your help, I am taking her to the vet tomorrow just to see if it's something they can drain. Fingers crossed it's just that. :) Thank you again.

Sorry I didn't write you back yesterday. I looked closely at Hedwig today, the area underneath looks just like a dirt/molting mark, not so much a scab. However I took a look and one of her feet I'm afraid does look like bumblefoot. I'm attaching a photo. I have an appointment at the vet tomorrow to see if the lump is something that can be drained. Thanks again!
It's good that that was dirt and not a sore place forming.
Glad you have a vet that can take a look at her, it does look like Bumblefoot. Hopefully the vet can assess her swollen abdomen while you are there.

Keep us posted.

It's good that that was dirt and not a sore place forming.
Glad you have a vet that can take a look at her, it does look like Bumblefoot. Hopefully the vet can assess her swollen abdomen while you are there.

Keep us posted.
IMG_3870.jpg

I know it's been quite awhile but I wanted to provide an update on Hedwig! The vet said that she thought the bump was a hernia, as you could manipulate and move it around and basically push it back into the abdomen. She was such a good girl at the vet and just sat there on the table and didn't even poop once. So the vet suggested to just to leave it alone and keep an eye on it. And since then she has been fine and behaving normally, eating, laying, etc. After molting feathers grew back over it so it looks much better now too.

However, the vet said that her foot looked fine, which turned out not to be the case! So, thank you so much for noticing that or it would have gone much longer undetected! A few days after going to the vet we noticed she was limping so we diligently soaked, removed, treated, and wrapped (and repeat, repeat) the bumblefoot until it had healed. She was such a good girl throughout the whole ordeal. I'm thankful it didn't happen to one of my more skiddish girls.

So, I am happy to report that Hedwig is a happy and healthy hen at the moment. Thank you again!

Back
Top Bottom