What Could It Be?

thudson

Crowing
10 Years
Apr 2, 2013
Gatesville Texas
Recently as you all know, I hatched my first chick. How do I know what breed it will be and what color egg it will lay?The chick I hatched came out of a brown egg from a Barred Rock hen. My roosters are both Easter eggers. As the chick is growing and is turning into a beautiful pullet I notice some features that are unique. She is solid black with black legs and beak and she is developing the cheek puffs of an Easter egger. So does this mean that is what she is and will lay a green egg, like the rest of my Easter egger hens. Or will her Barred rock genes kick in and she will lay a brown egg? She is beautiful and it does not matter to me either way. But I am not confident in judging when it comes to genes in chickens and cross breeding. I will post a picture shortly so we can all see maybe What she really will become. Either way I am excited to have my little one, by the way her name is " Hatchley".

Here is a picture of the day Hatchley actually hatched. You can still see a few pieces of the egg she hatched from.
IMG_20180316_062732341_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

Recently as you all know, I hatched my first chick. How do I know what breed it will be and what color egg it will lay?The chick I hatched came out of a brown egg from a Barred Rock hen. My roosters are both Easter eggers. As the chick is growing and is turning into a beautiful pullet I notice some features that are unique. She is solid black with black legs and beak and she is developing the cheek puffs of an Easter egger. So does this mean that is what she is and will lay a green egg, like the rest of my Easter egger hens. Or will her Barred rock genes kick in and she will lay a brown egg? She is beautiful and it does not matter to me either way. But I am not confident in judging when it comes to genes in chickens and cross breeding. I will post a picture shortly so we can all see maybe What she really will become. Either way I am excited to have my little one, by the way her name is " Hatchley".
With that parentage she is a mixed breed. Egg color could be brown or green. You won't really know until she lays.

Back
Top Bottom