What culinary herbs will you add to your 2018 garden?

Would herbs grow well in a small rock wall? I have a ridge about 2-3 feet high i am thinking of putting rocks along there with some sort of plants hanging over the edges. Do all herbs have to be brought in or are some perennial?

Despite a safe place to sleep, a few mice and lots of food, my barn kitten recently ran away...hope she found a great new home. Maybe I should plant catnip! Also remembered to bring in the Bay Tree. Such a lovely plant and you gotta love those bay leaves in winter soups and gumbo.
I don't want to sound gory but how do you know it ran away? Maybe it got killed by a coyote, raccoon, etc. or got run over. It is a dangerous world outside for housecats.

Would herbs grow well in a small rock wall? I have a ridge about 2-3 feet high i am thinking of putting rocks along there with some sort of plants hanging over the edges. Do all herbs have to be brought in or are some perennial?
There are lots of perennial herbs, depending on your hardiness zone.
It gets really cold here in winter but greek oregano, rosemary, sage, thyme, tarragon, winter savory, chives and parsley overwinter.
The most tender in my opinion is basil. It is gone with a hint of frost.

I just planted some garlic around my apple tree. I have chives and thyme in a pot that is going to stay outside over the winter. My rosemary is the 'Arp' cultivar, which I don't like as well for cooking. It's a bit bitter to me. 'Tuscan Blue' has a better flavor, but it isn't nearly as cold hardy. I have two varieties of oregano growing. One is more spicy than the other. I also grow basil. This year I didn't get around to drying it before it froze. I have found that it gets bigger nicer leaves when its grow in partial shade. I haven't had much luck with cilantro or parsley yet, but I'll keep trying! I have plans for quite a few more herbs, lavender, echinacea, sage, and chamomile to start with.

Cilantro and parsley grow well for me, and readily reseed. Dill has taken over my garden, as has garlic. I have oregano, lemon balm, mint. I like to let those go wild at edges of lawn. Sage needs to be replanted every 2 - 3 years b/c it gets too woody. Citronella and rosemary get brought in every fall. Not herbs, but I also do geranium cuttings and winter some of those over for spring starts. This season I have cherry red, fire red, salmon, and bright red. I have a hard time getting basil to grow. Sad, b/c I love it in a sandwich.

In the lawn, I have plantain, and yarrow. Harvest Jewel weed from an area down the street from me.

For me the must haves are chives (I have a plant that's going on 6 or 7 years, along with its offspring and grand-offspring), basil and mint. Basil is strictly May to late September for me, but I have a good spot to plant it that's shady in the afternoons. I don't use much parsley so the parsley I grow is just for the root - I actually prefer carrot greens to parsley.

In the lawn, I have plantain, and yarrow. Harvest Jewel weed from an area down the street from me.
"Harvest Jewel' I have never heard of...googled it, an interesting plant.
I love herbs, have just bought some curly parsley, lemongrass, wild thyme and Italian parsley - our birds love parsley. Years ago I attended a herb course, at the end, we sampled some foods flavoured with the herbs, they were scrumptious! I especially love lemongrass tea.

I'd never heard of Harvest jewelweed either--very cool. I like learning new things.

Have to have: cilantro, basil (genovese, lemon and thai), Spanish thyme(cuban oregano), chives, onions, summer savory, lemongrass, lemon balm, lemon verbena (sense a theme? :D ), thyme, sorrel, flat-leaf parsley

I've got rampant garlic chives and greek oregano, and a mongo lemongrass shrub, which I kind of dread the thought of digging up. Don't care for it myself, but I also grow a pot of chocolate mint for my son. My dill and fennel were kept pretty munched by the caterpillars, but that's basically what they were for, that's ok.

For next year, I want to get a rosemary hedge going. People here trim them like boxwood, but I haven't had luck keeping it alive, which hurts my gardening ego. :sick

Trailing stuff would look nice, like creeping thyme, corsican mint--maybe chamomile? As long as you have soil around, and there's at least some moisture, they should work.

Back
Top Bottom