What day is lockdown on a goose egg

Pics
I hope when we get home from town my little one has done something lol we have been on one side of town to the next its 7:45 pm now so by the time I get home it will be 9:00pm plenty of time to let the egg do its thing with no interruptions not that I bother it much other then to check humidity and look through the plexy glass of the incubator lol

This is a chicken that is internally pipped, not a goose, but it will look very similar. You will see a moving shadow in the air cell that's fairly triangular in shape, and that's the beak.

Day 20.jpg

Have you read Pete's incubating and hatching guide for geese? It's a very great resource and walks you right through how to make a safety hole if you end up needing to.

Thank you! Yes I have actually been reading it since day 1 of incubation! I have been tracking and candling its the hatch process that has confused me but I'm learning

Hmm yeah it looks like what you posted doesn't really have a lot of shadowing, so no need to worry too much right now if he just started! Expect internal pip tomorrow. What breed is he again? If he's a heavier breed, he's going to take longer than 28 days. I believe my dewlaps took 32. Pyxis gave you some good pics!

Kinda late on these vids but here you go:

An egg without shadowing. The cell is drawn down quite a bit, and a + is marked on (what used to be) the lowest end of the air cell, so I know 1. which way is up and 2. where to expect internal and external pip.

Shadowing becoming visible. Shadowing is when you can see little grey shadows moving above the air cell line. It's different from seeing the baby wiggling below the air cell. You can usually see a little more than this as she gets further along.

An internal pip! You can see her little beak. She's also breathing, as you can see...If you held your ear up to her, you'd be able to hear her clicking. She took a little while to actually start whistling at me.

If you talk to them at this stage, by the way, they will hear you and start imprinting on your voice.

Back
Top Bottom