What defines a good rooster?

My old guinea, Rufus, can be a pain, because he delights in chasing the flock. But one of his good points, besides herding the girls to hide when he sees a hawk, is that he often runs interference between 2 roos, or occasionally hens, that he sees starting to fight. He was once beat to a bloody pancake by a roo that probably saw him attempting to breed hens, or had enough of the chasing. I went out with a shovel to bury his flat bloody carcass. One eye opened, then the other. 3 days in a dog crate and he was revived. One of the few occasions I've been able to hold him. Walked around like a monk in a hairsuit for about a month, with head down. Sad to see. Back to his rambunctious "Eddie Haskell" self now. Requires frequent water pistol treatments, and chasing with a broom.

View attachment 1391836
I’ve always loved on my Rooster he is so mean :lau

I think Orpingtons boys are unlike other roosters. Orpingtons are just so sweet! Mild mannered, polite, good with the hens and other roosters, I ❤️️Orpingtons!

I have three teenage Orpington cockerels that I've been growing out to see which one I wanted to keep for a back up. I didn't treat them any different than any other roosters, quite hands-off etc, but all three would follow me around like puppies while I did chores and one of them, unfortunately not the one I've decided to keep, comes and sits down right next to me as soon as I sit down. I just love Orpingtons!

it is okay for him to run to you ...for food ..all my chickens do that ..when you walk toward them ..they need to walk away ...I have had many roosters ..some who I held and loved ..they still respected me . any young rooster that dared to attack me immediately got smacked . only one did it twice ...he stopped after the second smack . Some breeds are more likely to be aggressive . I would watch the leghorn rooster for aggression ..he is already showing signs of Dominance...and leghorns are bred for eggs not disposition
Thank you, I have all Mottled Javas.

Do you usually bring food out? Even mine get excited when I bring treats. Petting is okay as long as you aren't letting him jump on you or pecking you.
If they run at you while you have nothing in your hands for them, that can indicate they're trying to charge you. I have a 12 week old cockerel, he comes up to see If I have food. If I don't, he walks away.

What I look for is if the cockerel is always behind me, or walking right on my heels. Then I turn around and chase him off, or spray him with water. If he ever puts his wing down in front of you he's trying to show dominance, so you should chase or spray him when he does that too.
What do you mean put his wing down? Like extending one wing flat forward?

Do you usually bring food out? Even mine get excited when I bring treats. Petting is okay as long as you aren't letting him jump on you or pecking you.
If they run at you while you have nothing in your hands for them, that can indicate they're trying to charge you. I have a 12 week old cockerel, he comes up to see If I have food. If I don't, he walks away.

What I look for is if the cockerel is always behind me, or walking right on my heels. Then I turn around and chase him off, or spray him with water. If he ever puts his wing down in front of you he's trying to show dominance, so you should chase or spray him when he does that too.
Yes I always come with an armload of weeds for them

We have a flock of 20 hens (Austalorps and Orpingtons) and the perfect rooster, a mix of the two breeds named Sherman. He is gorgeous and calm, a great protector, keeps his flock together and under control and is NEVER aggressive with us. I really believe he got his calm, strong demeanor from his mother Gracie, an Orpington. He was hatched last spring and seems to have adopted her personality. It was a long time coming - we went through 23 roosters in 3 years before we found him. (The other 23 took up residence in our freezer!) We always talk to him whenever we see him and make sure he gets a share of the treats when we have something special for the girls. I also make sure to touch/pet/talk gently to him when he is on the roost, to get him used to us (and to reinforce our dominance over him). We are hoping his offspring will be just like him!

Attachments

• 20180219_175342.jpg
    20180219_175342.jpg
    614.2 KB · Views: 19
We have a flock of 20 hens (Austalorps and Orpingtons) and the perfect rooster, a mix of the two breeds named Sherman. He is gorgeous and calm, a great protector, keeps his flock together and under control and is NEVER aggressive with us. I really believe he got his calm, strong demeanor from his mother Gracie, an Orpington. He was hatched last spring and seems to have adopted her personality. It was a long time coming - we went through 23 roosters in 3 years before we found him. (The other 23 took up residence in our freezer!) We always talk to him whenever we see him and make sure he gets a share of the treats when we have something special for the girls. I also make sure to touch/pet/talk gently to him when he is on the roost, to get him used to us (and to reinforce our dominance over him). We are hoping his offspring will be just like him!
So there seem to be two camps of thought, I have heard to never pet a rooster. I pet mine, though.

Back
Top Bottom