What defines a good rooster?

20180329_141330.jpg
my French cuckoo maran is awsome he protects and feeds the ladies when I have had to handle the hens he comes running all puffed out and vocalize but never attacks...last month he took on a hawk that went after one of my light Brahma and was successful I having seen the hawk return I never make friends with my cockerals so they are always in close proximity but do not attack because I make them move from my space and have had no probs...on the other hand I had a black jersey giant that no matter what I did he was leaving scars on my legs so he ended up dinner I think genetics has something to do with it

Conan reminds me of a vulture with his black feathers and naked neck. I actually quite like his looks :) Too bad he's a jerk.
He’s actually a dark bay red with incomplete black mottling/lacing? There’s some white spots coming through now also. He almost looks like he could have Speckled Sussex in him.
I should get a photo in the sunlight...very pretty.
He may calm down...who knows.
I hope so. After having raised these guys from babies I’d rather rehome than eat lol.
I think some birds are more sensitive to feeling crowded than others.
I had to keep mine in their brooder longer than I wanted because the weather prevented us from finishing the new coop for the older ones.
He sure is fearless though.
I was just interacting with him and he didn’t bite.
Actually he has no problem with me picking him up.

So another couple observations today...

Sir Duke was crowing more then normal today. I went in and fed them, broke my rule and gave them pasta and strawberries as a treat(I was to tired yesterday). He does move out of my way and he he has no issues when the girls come by me or eat out if my hand. When I left he started crowing again, one of the girls was with him but the other was roosting lower, it seems he wanted her up by him and was calling her. Of course she does what she wants and he keeps crowing. All is quiet now because they are both with him.

On another note the second rooster(his name was Diva and is now Prince)started crowing today. He sounds so pitiful but I'm sure he will learn..after all it is chicken see, chicken do..

I have seven roosters, one lives at the neighbors as their only rooster with 20 hens because he was a bully and always starting fights with the other roosters.

The head rooster is a Delaware named Altair and he is a very good boss, he's strong but not mean and does not tolerate fighting, if two other roo's start fighting he runs over and breaks it up.

His two sons always hang out together and don't really fight over their hens although currently, Albus is very, very sick so I'm not sure if I will have him much longer.:hit

One bantam roo lives with the two silkie hens in their pen and the other two run around with the big guy's, I have always found that when I have a lot of roo's there is more peace in the flock and fewer deaths from pecking and predators.

Currently, everything is working out fine with 6 roosters to 27 hens, they each have a few of their own hens and don't really fight about it or wear the hens out, basically as long as you don't have a really bully rooster it seems to work out.

He’s actually a dark bay red with incomplete black mottling/lacing? There’s some white spots coming through now also. He almost looks like he could have Speckled Sussex in him.
I should get a photo in the sunlight...very pretty.
He may calm down...who knows.
I hope so. After having raised these guys from babies I’d rather rehome than eat lol.
I think some birds are more sensitive to feeling crowded than others.
I had to keep mine in their brooder longer than I wanted because the weather prevented us from finishing the new coop for the older ones.
He sure is fearless though.
I was just interacting with him and he didn’t bite.
Actually he has no problem with me picking him up.

I'm right in the middle of he same situation. They are still inside because I'm still working on the coop/enclosure and I'm just so tired. My hands are all cut up and sore. It's kind of chilly today but I gotta get my butt out there. These guys need to be outside enjoying themselves. Every time I think I got everything covered I read another horror story and add more hardware cloth somewhere. I have one area that I'm having issues with. It happens to be the area closest to where the dogs would be, so predators would be up against the dogs.

So another couple observations today...

Sir Duke was crowing more then normal today. I went in and fed them, broke my rule and gave them pasta and strawberries as a treat(I was to tired yesterday). He does move out of my way and he he has no issues when the girls come by me or eat out if my hand. When I left he started crowing again, one of the girls was with him but the other was roosting lower, it seems he wanted her up by him and was calling her. Of course she does what she wants and he keeps crowing. All is quiet now because they are both with him.

On another note the second rooster(his name was Diva and is now Prince)started crowing today. He sounds so pitiful but I'm sure he will learn..after all it is chicken see, chicken do..
Maybe Sir Duke is crowing more because he’s noticing the 2nd one crowing now?

I have seven roosters, one lives at the neighbors as their only rooster with 20 hens because he was a bully and always starting fights with the other roosters.

The head rooster is a Delaware named Altair and he is a very good boss, he's strong but not mean and does not tolerate fighting, if two other roo's start fighting he runs over and breaks it up.

His two sons always hang out together and don't really fight over their hens although currently, Albus is very, very sick so I'm not sure if I will have him much longer.:hit

One bantam roo lives with the two silkie hens in their pen and the other two run around with the big guy's, I have always found that when I have a lot of roo's there is more peace in the flock and fewer deaths from pecking and predators.

Currently, everything is working out fine with 6 roosters to 27 hens, they each have a few of their own hens and don't really fight about it or wear the hens out, basically as long as you don't have a really bully rooster it seems to work out.
Sounds like you have an ideal situation. I hope Albus recovers! :fl
Is it noisy with 6?
That’s the problem my husband has with roosters. We’re not banned from having them here but our neighbors are fairly close and we don’t want to cause problems.

I'm right in the middle of he same situation. They are still inside because I'm still working on the coop/enclosure and I'm just so tired. My hands are all cut up and sore. It's kind of chilly today but I gotta get my butt out there. These guys need to be outside enjoying themselves. Every time I think I got everything covered I read another horror story and add more hardware cloth somewhere. I have one area that I'm having issues with. It happens to be the area closest to where the dogs would be, so predators would be up against the dogs.
We just finished the new one a couple of days ago.
We still have a little trim work to finish but that can be done when they’re in the yard.
My husband did a concrete foundation in ours because he didn’t want to worry about predators and if we ever sell our property he wants it to look nice and be able to be converted into a shed or whatever if the buyers don’t want chickens.
Our neighbor said it looks good enough to rent out lol.
It has no run. Our yard is the run.
You’ll be so happy when you finish it!

You wanted 4 pullets and ended up with 2 cockerels, so now you're buying more pullets (hopefully) to accommodate having the 2 cockerels? If it were me, I'd just say no now and plan on rehoming the other cockerel. Even with 12 pullets, you wouldn't need 2 cockerels and you will have double the noise, and a higher feed bill. Plus the potential fighting and over-mating and double the risk of one of them turning aggressive on you. And more work to take care of them all. Argh! Stop the madness!

I realize it's easy to become attached, but if you can find or already have a good home lined up for one of them, my advice is to let go.

Choosing which one to keep is another matter, but things will become more clear as they get older. Choose the one with the most even, consistent temperament and one that keeps a respectful distance. One that has no fear of you now will have no fear of you when its hormones kick in, and that is bad news.

Sounds like you have an ideal situation. I hope Albus recovers! :fl
Is it noisy with 6?
That’s the problem my husband has with roosters. We’re not banned from having them here but our neighbors are fairly close and we don’t want to cause problems.
Thank you:)
I don't really even notice the crowing that much, the neighbors all say they like the sound of it but we have a bit of distance and trees between everyone's houses so that helps.
Some roosters crow more than others as well.

Back
Top Bottom