What did it??

amberu

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 11, 2010
OK I live in burbia and have a 6ft fence around the back yard. I did have 2 black broilers that we were raising for meat..that is until one night something got into the coop and killed them. My hubby set up a hunters cam that has night vision and motion capture and this is what we got

57204_img_0692.jpg

57204_img_0691.jpg

Now at first before we had the pics I thought coon or something..now seeing these..I think weasel??? We do live near a lake...I know the pics aren't that great, but any input would help. Thanks

Amber

weasels is what it looks like to me. They wiped out my whole coop one year never caught it or killed it. There is nothing I can tell ya to get rid of them. Minks are in the same family I think.....

Looks like some sort of weasel to me. You need to have strong hardware cloth for the run, with a hardware cloth apron to prevent digging. Lock chickens up in the coop at night and make sure it is predator proof. So sorry about your loss.

Thanks!! I have 4 new babies and boy the new coop is going to be very Ft Knox...LOL...this other coop was kind of thrown together since I really didn't even know I was getting chickens ( long story..lol)..so should we dig down..or just make sure that the coop is closed and locked every night?? ( oh and we are using hardware cloth on the run part).. Oh and we never even found one of the chickens..the other was wounded/in shock and didn't survive the night..the broilers were almost full size ( we were going to process them next week!!!)..so a weasel can carry off a adult hen??

Amber

Last edited:
Weasels and minks are in the same family, Mustelidae. The critter in the photo looks like a mustelid and looks like it might be 24 inches or greater if the space in the fencing is 2 inches.

A mink is about 28 inches long and a long-tailed weasel is about 16 inches long.

Is that a dead dinosaur in the photo? Mean critter to kill a dinosaur.

Back
Top Bottom