What did you do in the garden today?

I’ve been thinking I might let the girls into the veggie garden for pest control this summer. I was going to try to put chicken wire around the 4x8 beds. How high of chicken wire do you think I need? Has anyone else done this with any success? Right now I have kale & garlic in two places blocked by a moveable 2 ft fence that keeps them out pretty well, but I’ll be much more possessive of my newly planted sprouts and summer food supply than I am of losing any extra winter greens.

My crew putting together the new potting station. I told my granddaughter that I'm getting her a t-shirt that says "will work for cookies." I made her chocolate chip cookies for helping.

20230122_201716.jpg

I’ve been thinking I might let the girls into the veggie garden for pest control this summer. I was going to try to put chicken wire around the 4x8 beds. How high of chicken wire do you think I need? Has anyone else done this with any success? Right now I have kale & garlic in two places blocked by a moveable 2 ft fence that keeps them out pretty well, but I’ll be much more possessive of my newly planted sprouts and summer food supply than I am of losing any extra winter greens.
My chicken wouldn't break into a fenced off place unless they were starving....They get crazy when they are hungry...............However, no matter how hungry they get, they won't eat the leaves off of my tomato plants. They already know that it is poison...................It must have something to do with their instincts.

My chicken wouldn't break into a fenced off place unless they were starving....They get crazy when they are hungry...............However, no matter how hungry they get, they won't eat the leaves off of my tomato plants. They already know that it is poison...................It must have something to do with their instincts.
Do you think 2 ft or 3 ft is high enough? Just going around the edges of each box once things are planted in it.

Do you think 2 ft or 3 ft is high enough? Just going around the edges of each box once things are planted in it.
I'm thinking it's going to depend on your chickens. Leghorns and similar cover your beds. Some of the quiter chickens the 2 or 3 foot fence should work depending on what they have to keep them busy and how long you leave them.

But there is always going to be that one trouble maker.

Good morning gardeners. Socked in by a nasty winter storm. We’ve had over 9 inches of precipitation in the last 25 hours. Snow, sleet, rain, more snow and 4 more inches expected. Power went out for 1/2 hour in the middle of the night then again for 1 1/2 hours this morning. Upside is there’s a good deal of snow on the roof to insulate the house. I cooked my breakfast oatmeal on my sterno stove and as soon as it was finished cooking the power came back on. Yay! I was able to make toast. There’s another storm heading our way on Wednesday. But everything is so pretty. So much nitrogen for the garden.

Back
Top Bottom