What did you do in the garden today?

received my two bee hives today
Is this your first time having bees? We just got our first bees a week and a half ago.
Do you have any additional pictures? I have both Autumn Olive and Goumi Berry. They look similar.
I don't have any more pictures. I think it's either Russian Olive, or Autumn Olive. Now that I'm looking for it, I see it EVERYWHERE!
Y'all can't keep up with eating your lettuce & I STILL can't get mine to grow.
Still waiting for mine to sprout too! :barnie

@gtaus what is the mower's problem?

Lost all throttle control, engine runs wide open. Mechanic took a look at it and said the governor was the problem, that it is internal to the engine, and would cost too much to tear apart and fix than the old engine was worth.

I'm not a mechanic, but this guy has done good work for me before at a reasonable price. He has even helped with some issues that I was able to fix at home and not bring in the mower to the shop. So, over the years he has saved me money. If he says it would cost too much to fix this mower, I guess I trust him.

Also, that engine was burning oil bad and sometimes would not start. I've been nursing it along for the past 5 years on borrowed time.

Anyways, he might have an engine for my old mower to swap out. I'll be checking in with him in the next few days to see if that is a possibility.

Sitting here, waiting for the power to come back on! It went off about 8:15, estimated restoration is 1:30 am. No big deal at all... except I have a brooder with a heater plate keeping (5) one week old chicks warm!

We have the generator going, just for them. I'm looking out the window every 15 minutes or so, waiting to see my neighbor's porch light come on.

One garden thing: I bought a hollyhock plant today. I planted it near the big rock that is too big to dig out of the garden. I'm hoping that turns into "hollyhock corner." It's not too far from the bee hive.

Sitting here, waiting for the power to come back on! It went off about 8:15, estimated restoration is 1:30 am. No big deal at all... except I have a brooder with a heater plate keeping (5) one week old chicks warm!

We have the generator going, just for them. I'm looking out the window every 15 minutes or so, waiting to see my neighbor's porch light come on.

One garden thing: I bought a hollyhock plant today. I planted it near the big rock that is too big to dig out of the garden. I'm hoping that turns into "hollyhock corner." It's not too far from the bee hive.
I remember hollyhocks. They were growing at my grandma and grandpa's house. They have really strange seed pods if I remember correctly. Kind of shaped like a Lifesaver's lozenge.

I remember hollyhocks. They were growing at my grandma and grandpa's house. They have really strange seed pods if I remember correctly. Kind of shaped like a Lifesaver's lozenge.
Interesting! I plan to let then reseed however they want to. That corner of the garden is pretty useless with that big rock there. I was thinking of putting a compost pile there, but put it in the other corner instead.

I have pallets. I should build an official composting area down there. I have enough garden hose to reach it so it should work.

I toss almost all my organic materials into the chicken run for composting. However, I have 5 pallet wood compost bins under a bunch of trees. My strategy is to use them for stuff I don't want my chickens to have - like moldy food, etc... - and just let them sit for years. I fill up maybe one bin per year, and then move on to the next. I never water, or turn, the compost in those bins. However, by about year 5 when I'm filling up that last compost bin, the first compost bin is ready to harvest.

I had them all set up nicely with rails in the front to drop down boards as I filled the compost bin. It was looking pretty good. However, I had a big pine tree fall down on top of the bins last year during a storm and now I have to rebuild those bins. Oh well, it's not high on my list and the bins are still composting the stuff I tossed in them. Just looks like a tree fell on top of everything.

Here is a YouTube link to the type of pallet wood compost bins I made....

Back
Top Bottom