What did you do in the garden today?

I found that the Burpee seed starting tray with the wicking mat worked way better than the ones without the wicking mat. It keeps just the right amount of moisture seeds need to sprout, so they don't get waterlogged and rot.

Seeds that I couldn't sprout with regular seed trays like my green TDMD coated Tycoon tomato seeds sprouted in the wicking tray.

By the way, the generic non coated Tycoon tomato seeds I got from amazon were not the real deal. They did not have the TYLCV resistance. as advertised. I got ripped. However, the green coated Tycoon seeds I got from Reimeir seeds had the TYLCV resistance, but they don't carry them anymore.

I found another source from the state of Texas where it originated from if anyone needs heat setting plants this is the one.
https://davidsgardenseeds.com/produ...-gmo-hybrid-seeds?_pos=1&_sid=efad0c5b7&_ss=r

What did you do in your garden today?

I picked a bunch of Rattlesnake green beans and Cherokee wax beans, a few tomatoes, three eggplants, some broccoli shoots, and jalapenos. Pretty happy with today's harvest!
thumbsup.gif
This spring weather finally settled in, which means I gotta separate the young sprouts from the turkeys and ducks.

Where do you live in? Harvesting already?? My sprouts are just coming in because it was so cold here in Virginia.

Hey Everyone!

We have been working in our garden the past couple days in preparation for the spring. I went shopping for a few vegetable plants as I do every year.

I normally buy a few select plants each year to get fruit earlier, until those I plant from seeds start to produce.

However, this year I was annoyed at the cost of the vegetable plants. The price jumped up to $4.98 and $5.78. But I guess that's inflation for you.

But, I am soooo excited to be working in the garden this spring. I hope to have a very productive garden this year.

Video of my garden shopping experience.

Deer did a number on my young apple trees...skinned bark off trunks, badly. Seems like many varied opinions, of whether or not to do anything can be found on the web. Some people say do nothing, the tree will heal itself. Others say try putting pool noodles around them. Some people say paint the trunks. What do you think?

Should I try this?
https://www.google.com/search?q=dee...-8&inm=vs#kpvalbx=_9EMdZqvZNvqrptQPt6KcyAM_62

View attachment 3801979View attachment 3801980View attachment 3801982View attachment 3801983View attachment 3801984

Deer rubbing antlers, but also someone took a few bites!

On a positive note...at least the trees aren't dead.
View attachment 3802060View attachment 3802061
I think I read somewhere that using a sealant, such as paint, actually inhibits a tree from healing itself appropriately.

However I don't know if the depth of the injury makes a difference or not.

And I would definitely put something over it like a pool noodle to protect it from more harm.

Ever have so much on your "to do" list, that you don't know where to start? Also, when I get busy with work, everything back home suffers. Time & money...you can be without both, or have one or the other, but Never Both in abundance at the same time!

Today...after work, IF I beat the rain (yes, More rain is coming tonight) I will get those wildflower seeds raked in & covered with straw since the relentless wind is finally on break today. Then make dinner & work on a diagram of what gets planted where. I'm not doing rows, I'm trying synergy cluster type gardening this time.

Sometime after work this week, I'm going to dig up some wild raspberry bushes, & place in 5 gal buckets temporarily, if I have to. If anyone can share some helpful planting tips for these wild raspberry plants, I'd be grateful. I really hate to see them being ripped out & discarded, but that's what some folks do...darn shame, I've loved picking & eating them for years. Well, I'm going to save some & move them to my own property. I'm considering planting along the property line across the back, where my property backs up to the field that is currently farmed. It sort of already makes a natural hedge row where it is growing now. I could make a similar hedge row. It'll get full sun there.
Red or black raspberries? Here we have wild blacks but at my MN. cabin they have wild reds.

Back
Top Bottom